5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
braden79

Default radio issues

I have an '85 GT convertible, when I got it there was no radio in it. Wires were all over the place. Now, I got a radio put in, turns on and off but I get no sound. I read somewhere on here about the factory amp. could cause that. Now I read through the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual and couldn't find the diagram for the radio, let alone the factory amp placement. Where could I find it? Under the dash is a complete cluster.... so I would like to start in a general area instead of just guessing. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

This link might help you:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...etail/887.html

As I recall, my '91 has 2 plugs. One is used for the factory amplifier option, the other goes straight to the speakers. Does your car still have the connectors, or did someone chop them off?

If you have the factory connectors, you would probably be best served to get an adapter harness (sold practically everywhere) for your car and just match the colors up to your new radio and just plug it in. The kit I bought for mine car (Scosche I think?) came with the connectors to go either way.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The stock amp is preventing your radio from working. It must be bypassed via the wiring.
Normally you could head to your local radio shop and get a bypass harness, but since you can't do that, you'll just need to cut and splice your way through it.

The radio you purchased should have a sticker on it telling you which color wire goes to what speaker.
Here's the stock colors:

LH F +: Light blue/white
LH F -: Orange/Light green
RH F +: Dark green/orange
RH F -: White/light green

LH R +: Pink/light blue
LH R -: Pink/light green
RH R +: Pink/light blue
RH R -: Dark green/orange

You likely won't find these colors laying in the back of the radio area, they're at the output side of the amp(the wires which your radio is currently spliced into is likely the input harness for the amp). You'll need to unplug the output harness and splice in.

A simple trick to figure out if you're holding the correct pair: Take a 9v battery(small ones for remotes, etc) and touch both speaker wires to the terminals. If you have the correct pairing, the speaker will harmlessly make pop and fizzle noises. It's almost necessary here as you have a couple replicating wire colors.

Last edited by mattdel; 04-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
braden79

thanks for the advice I will get on it on that when then weather clears a bit. I got the power, remote, and the ground found. the speaker wires were aftermarket. also got some pioneers in the dash. not sure if the previous owner knew this and just gave up. the wiring was all chopped out.
Just another thing with buying someone else's problem lol. already fixed a lot of motor issues. still finding all the glitches. interior work may just come later
Again thanks for your help.