5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dont know what to do next with H/C/i mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default Dont know what to do next with H/C/i mustang

im not exactly sure what to do with my trickflow/full Bolton on fox. I made 296/285 with a dyno tune but im starting to get bored of the power. Idk whether to go for a stroker,supercharge it or turbo it. Many people have told me to just turbo it because for the same money of doing a stroker either a 331 or 347 out of my stock block, I could make more power off a turbo. Im trying to get the most power and not spend a ton of money. I would like to make atleast 450whp but ofcourse ive heard the rumors of a stock block not being able to withstand over 500whp without being built atleast. Im aware that im going to have to upgrade my fuel system from my 24 pound injectors and 195 fuel pump. Somebody steer me in the right direction!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Turbos are a great way to make a lot of power, but the sound of a 347 stroker rumbling at idle is next to heaven. That's my own opinion , my buddy had a 347 that sounded great at idle and really roared when he opened it up. Costs a lot to do compared to getting a turbo and installing it, but man it sounded good. Not to mention the stroker kit is going to prepare your block for adding more hp later on.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

Well... it depends on where you want the power, what's your risk vs reward threshold for breaking parts, and how long you want it to last.

IMO.. turbos for a street car tend to be my favorite route because of the power increases w/o cam & heads that make it unpleasant to drive at slower speeds / rpms. Also, a turbo is the least power robbing improver you can get outside of nitrous.

Turbos take a lot of tuning to get right for the street car. Any "tuner" can put one on a chassie dyno and make peak numbers. But that doesn't mean they are pleasant to drive at part throttle. With proper boost control and engine tuning though a turbo can be made to make power in any way you want. Just takes high quality tuning and control.

If your the kind of guy that wants to just turn the key and go on pump gas.. add a centrifugal type of blower or get a nice 347 short block from a company like Ford strokers.

If you like to tinker and this is just a toy car.. get a turbo kit and learn to tune it yourself. (btw, if you do a turbo I'd suggest using the best oil you can afford as it'll help the bottom end to live longer)

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-21-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 AM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I currently own an 89 Mustang with a 369 that makes 425 rwhp NA (with a mild cam), and an 04 Cobra that makes 465 rwhp SC. The 89 sounds meaner and such, but is always on the edge of spinning tires, and is more of a handful to drive. The Cobra can be completely docile, or you can spin tires, it's always your choice at every moment. There is something to be said for the way a SC makes power for a daily driver. Either way, power costs money....
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
adrnlnjnky700
2nd Gear Member

for the price of the vortech base line supercharger kit(1,900.00) and a couple hundred for supporting mods and install time taking a couple hours. you cant go wrong with that. i was at 296hp before i put it on now im at 411hp. and i just added a powerpipe and bypass valve so hopefully its around 430ish now. still have to get it tuned.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I'm a big fan of cammed N/A motors
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

ive heard that 331's are the way to go because 347's are generally harder to maintain and drink up more oil
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

this is my daily driver, but i dont drive it every single day. I drive the car when i need to get somewhere or do an errand or especially on weekends or when i wanna mess around with it. Im not one of those abusive mustang owners that just beat the hell out of the car doing burnouts and constantly on the throttle even though it is fun. Im afraid of breaking stuff because im young (21) and dont have a ton of money to keep dumping into the fox. I just love the way a turbo sounds a guy in my neighborhood is making about 600whp in a new 98 mustang and the way that thing sounds is music to your ears.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by IvanFiveLiter
ive heard that 331's are the way to go because 347's are generally harder to maintain and drink up more oil
fact or fiction?? hrmmmmm , here we go again, TOTAL FICTION!!! Those are the kind of stories that sell magazines. I got a 347, it uses no oil, and is no harder to maintain than a 302 or 331. there are chevy motors and ford 6 cyl motors out there with far worse rod ratios than a 347 and have lived well past 200k
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
fact or fiction?? hrmmmmm , here we go again, TOTAL FICTION!!! Those are the kind of stories that sell magazines. I got a 347, it uses no oil, and is no harder to maintain than a 302 or 331. there are chevy motors and ford 6 cyl motors out there with far worse rod ratios than a 347 and have lived well past 200k
I thought, years ago, that something to do with the 347 piston wrist pin location was cause for oil consumption on that build? I also heard that you can get pistons now that don't have that problem.

What's the scoop? Was it ever a problem?

Quick Reply: Dont know what to do next with H/C/i mustang