5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new transmission install..a bit paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default new transmission install..a bit paranoid

about a year ago....

Cruising at around 65 mph is given a large unexpected jolt. After a few more seconds another jolt and the engine shuts down. Long story short here my transmission was dry of lubricant and the shafts seized.

about a month ago..

I have now taken delivery of a astro performance T5 and proceeded to install it. (replaced flywheel, clutch and pilot bearing. While driving the car on and off for a few days to break everything in I was cruising at about 40mph... I thought for a split second it felt like something caught or bound for some reason. As soon as I thought I felt this I turned the car homeward and parked it. On the drive home it did not act badly at all, shifted fine and did not notice or think that I felt that same thing again.

I will be the first to admit that I am paranoid about ruining another trans and want to cover all my bases here. After calling astro he mentioned that if the car is lowered I need to get adjustable upper control arms to adjust the rear pinion angle...

Has anyone herd or had an issue like this?
Are there any tips/advice points im missing with transmission install?
Any relevant info would be much appreciated.

I plan to drop the trans and possibly take a look inside to ease my paranoia about ruining a gear...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Unless you're super lowered and super high powered, I wouldn't worry too much about the pinion angle. Pinion angle wouldn't cause a "bind" like that unless it was WAY off..

If something would have caught or bound, your tires would have probably chirped. Probably something else funky going on. I'd drive it and see what happens. The new tranny should have a warranty.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

I did not notice any wheel chirp or anything like that, which in hindsight may be the case if there was a bind... Guy at Astro thought it would be possible to "feel" something like that more likely due to a clutch symptom.

That being said I dropped the trans tonight to do a visual. got the trans out and drained the fluid. if there were grinding in the trans I would think ide find some noticeable metal shavings or something?? I doubt (and hope) that is not what going on here.

Upon crawling back under the car I took a look to see if there was anything clearly out of place. The first thing I noticed was one of the 2 tines that hold the throwout bearing in place was skewed off the face and resting more on the side of it. Now I suppose this may have been a result of pulling the transmission out but if not what kind of issues would this cause?