5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Still breaking up after 3,000rpm...what else to check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If I were to swap out a dizzy and replace it I would just Bring it up to TDC on #1 and start over , since you wont be able to mark the new dizzy . Chances of getting it in on exactly the right tooth are slim, youll get it close but will still need to be timed.

I never even mark my distributor when I have to remove it I just start over at TDC
Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks...I will see what happens when I swap it. Fingers crossed that its the cause of everything!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

here is long shot for you. My car years ago picked up a miss after I rebuilt the trans strange it didn't miss before the rebuild after a couple day of messing with it I checked the codes it said no signal from the VSS checked it my friend did not plug it back in well I did and it fixed the miss strange it even did it but it did. Worth a check if your car has it.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

What is the vss? And also what is the best way to get it to tdc?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vss is Vehicle Speed Sensor . The ecm takes readings off of it to control Idle while coming to a stop and also in between shifts. Ive never know one to cause a miss , but who knows lol .. I know on an auto trans they can cause it to surge in and out of od and drive.

When bringing the #1 to TDC on the compression stroke pull the plug on #1 cylinder , if you have a buddy its easier to do by having them rotate the crank with a breaker bar and socket while you hold your finger on the hole and feel for compression , but if you are doing it your self you cand find a rubber plug or even a cork can be used to put in the hole and rotate the engine till the cork pops out. Once you know your on the compression stroke you can use a wood dowl in the spark plug hole and slowly bring the piston up till it stops coming up this is TDC on compression stroke ,,,,,,, If your harmonic balancer is accurate the 0 should be lined up with the timing pointer. 0 is always TDC compression , however a lot of times the balancers are not accurate due to age and the outer ring slipping a bit on the rubber , that's why its a good idea to verify compression and tdc with the spark plug out.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

That makes things alot easier! I've never had to get it to tdc before so wasn't sure what to do...hopefully I will be able to get to it today if I get out of work early enough. I don't see the vss being the cause of it either...but I'm no master mechanic lol
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Now that I think about it...my vss may be bad. When I push in the clutch before I come to a stop my rpm's don't drop until I come to a complete stop. Where is it located? I have a tremec trans 5 speed...not sure where it is
Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Rpms are supposed to stay up a little when you push the clutch in to match the vehical speed between shifts. A bad vss would likely cause a condition where the car acts like it wants to stall out when slowing down. My 94 does the same thing when pushing the clutch in the rpms hang for a few until stopped.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Ohh ok that's good to know...it should be fine then
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 PM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Problem solved! Swapped out the dizzy and it's running better than ever! Not sure if it was the pickup coil or the dizzy itself but its fixed. Thank you guys for the help...if it wasn't for this forum I would be lost sometimes lol

Quick Reply: Still breaking up after 3,000rpm...what else to check?