5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Top motor bad? What year fits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Default Top motor bad? What year fits?

Hi, I have a 90 lx 5.0 vert and I only hear a click from the top motor area when I hit the top switch in any direction. I am assuming that is the relay and the motor is toast. I will check power to the motor but I am 99% sure the motor is bad.

I have a friend with one from a 2004. I was told it is the same motor for many years from the 60's to 2004. Can someone confirm what year motors are good for my car 1990 fox body?

Thanks!!!!

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I believe the years 83-93 are all the same and 94-04 are different
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

On my 7 UP Mustang I had a bad relay one time, and the brushes were worn out another time. I swapped the relays around to verify that one was bad. You might try that since the relays just plug in and they are easy to swap around. I doubt if the relay is bad since both are clicking.

You can open up the motor and check the brushes. I bet they are worn out like mine was. I bought a set of brushes as close to the right size I could find, and used sandpaper to shape them up to fit. That motor is still going strong too!

Good luck!
LARRY
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 7 UP Mustang
On my 7 UP Mustang I had a bad relay one time, and the brushes were worn out another time. I swapped the relays around to verify that one was bad. You might try that since the relays just plug in and they are easy to swap around. I doubt if the relay is bad since both are clicking.

You can open up the motor and check the brushes. I bet they are worn out like mine was. I bought a set of brushes as close to the right size I could find, and used sandpaper to shape them up to fit. That motor is still going strong too!

Good luck!
LARRY
Thanks Larry, which relay should i pull to test the one out at the motor? Just any from the engine compartment that looks similar?

Also, where would I get the brushes? I'm a little timid with that type of job, but if they are inexpensive, I probably don't have much to lose.

thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

The UP and DOWN relays are back in the top compartment. You can get to them by going into the trunk, and removing that cover that protects the top motor parts. If I recall the spare tire cover and the top motor cover are all one part.

I took what was left of the brushes to an electrical parts store, and they were able to come up with a set of brushes that was close to the right size. Like I said a little bit of sanding on the brushes, and they have been working great now. That was about 10 years ago, and back then Ford wanted about $600.00 for a new top motor.

Good luck!
Larry
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 7 UP Mustang
The UP and DOWN relays are back in the top compartment. You can get to them by going into the trunk, and removing that cover that protects the top motor parts. If I recall the spare tire cover and the top motor cover are all one part.

I took what was left of the brushes to an electrical parts store, and they were able to come up with a set of brushes that was close to the right size. Like I said a little bit of sanding on the brushes, and they have been working great now. That was about 10 years ago, and back then Ford wanted about $600.00 for a new top motor.

Good luck!
Larry
Thanks Larry! Was your motor dead as a doorknob or was it spinning a bit? Mine is completely dead. I still haven't tried relays yet. Gotta get my butt out in the garage and get r done.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I really have no idea what the OP is talking about.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
I really have no idea what the OP is talking about.
LOL... I'm tying to determine my motors is a canditate for brushes it it doesn't turn at all. That was a fix by larry. Just curious what condition his motor was in before performing the taskl
Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

pretty sure all top motors from 1965-1993 are the same...i need to swap the top frame on my car i actually have an extra motor once i get around to it(i have no idea when it will be though)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
mebirkle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
pretty sure all top motors from 1965-1993 are the same...i need to swap the top frame on my car i actually have an extra motor once i get around to it(i have no idea when it will be though)
Thanks... let me know. I'm kind of in a bit of a rush.

Quick Reply: Top motor bad? What year fits?