5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Small post on starter relay.....

Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 PM
randyr

Default Small post on starter relay.....

Hi guys! I'm putting 5.0/AOD from a 92 Mustang GT in my 66 Ford F100 shortbed pickup. I'm using Summit Racing's knock off of Ford Racing's EFI harness (it even uses Ford Racing's instruction manual). It keeps the EGR puts all the necessary relays/fuses in a nice module that's pretty easy to install.

I have everything installed and powered up except I have a few questions that you Fox Body guys probably know. I hope you can help me out....

I got 5.0/AOD, computer, sensors, etc all from the same donor 92 MustangGT.

So, I have the harness installed and powered up but having a couple of problems...

1. Key start won't crank the starter. I can jump across the solenoid and the starter spins but not with key. I thought it might be the NSS but I bypassed it for a test and it didn't change anything. Any thoughts?

2. I'm using the Mustang starter relay which only has 1 smaller post and the 2 large posts. The old F100 unit had 2 small post ("S" & "I")plus 2 large posts. My instructions for adapting the 3g alternator said I didn't need the "S & I" wires. But do I need a wire from somewhere to the small post on the Mustang relay? Could this be why my starter doesn't engage with the key?

3. only other question I have is related to fuel pressure. I bought the Tanks, Inc. '66 Mustang tank set up for EFI with in-tank pump. Mounted it under the rear of bed. The sales rep told me I needed the #2GPA pump (190ltrs/hr up to 450hp). The pump works but not much pressure at the engine. It's supposed to have somewhere in the 32-39psi range but this is nowhere near that. I'm thinkin' she sold me the wrong pump. Thoughts?

I appreciate any help!
Thanks
Randy
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Make sure the fuel pump is really getting the voltage it needs, there should be a relay in that circuit.
Otherwise look for something kinked or something in the fuel line itself.......
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You should have 3 wires going to the starter relay . The 2 heavy wires that feed the relay and starter and in the I terminal you should have a wire that excites the relay when you turn the car key to start. That small wire should only see 12 volts when you turn the key to start . The s and I terminals on the other solenoid you mention are Ignition and secondary so one is for the ignition in start. The ignition excites the relay during key on, and the secondary is just for accessory . When I installed an msd ignition on my 68 engine I used the secondary to hook up a wire from the msd box that retarded timing during the start sequence to allow for an easier start. Since the efi engines timing is controlled from the computer at the time of ignition there is no need for this secondary. Assuming the 66 was originally a points ignition It would have no need for the secondary . But if some one upgraded the ignition to electronic ignition like a duraspark or similar it would have used the secondary for retarding the timing during crank.

On to the fuel pressure issue.
What is your max fuel pressure that your seeing with key on engine off? You should see any where from 32 to 42 psi and with a new pump I would expect closer to the 38 -39 mark. If your below 32 the chance of the engine even starting is pretty slim.
If you havnt been able to get it to run then it is likely that there is still a lot of air in the fuel line and since air compresses it causes the fuel pressure to be low. Bleed the air out of the line by cycling the pump and relieving the pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail. You should do this until no air comes out, With new lines it can take awhile considering the fuel filter is full of air as well as the lines and rail.

Hope this helps and your able to sort it out.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM
89StangGTConvertible
2nd Gear Member

I had a 1967 Ford F150... "three on the tree". I loved that truck. Sorry I can't offer much help with your problem, but you brought back some good memories! Good luck getting it sorted out. The above posts should help.