5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT40 intake swap, now blowing fuel pump fuse. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Default GT40 intake swap, now blowing fuel pump fuse. HELP!

Hey Guys,

Before you grill me...I SEARCHED. The problem Im having is nowhere to be found, IN CONJUCTION WITH GT40 intake swap,
Allow me to explain. Obviously I put a gt40 upper/lower intake on my 1997 mustang Cobra Clone Convertible w/1995 generation 5.0 L. drive train. I port matched the intake opening to 75mm to match my 75mm elbow adapter and 75mm BBk throttle body.(Lots of other mods, not important at the moment.)
Anyways its done, and as I was cranking it over on a charger to get it to start, to time it and set idle, etc(wich Im having trouble with but that's not why Im here) All of a sudden my fuel pump fuse keeps blowing! After a couple of cranks, it pops another one. Several have been replaced and they all pop after a few minutes.
Anyways, THATS why Im here. Has anyone encountered this after a swap!???

Any Help Would Be Appreciated,

~Marco S.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 AM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

BTW, I understand all the usual culprits, fuel filter is new, and fuel pump could be going, etc,etc, But this NEVER happened until I messed with everything in the swap. Some people said this happened to them when they messed with the fuel injector harness, or they simply found a short/kink in the fuel injector harness. I certainly messed with fuel injectors and harness a lot during the swap, maybe I should start there? Please....anyone?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Thank you all very much for your help. I really appreciate it.....
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Ok so you have a 1995 driveline. That means you're blowing an under-hood 20-amp fuse, correct?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

THANK YOU! ...yes....correct..
Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

The yellow wire on that fuse leads to the CCRM(constant control relay module). My guess is it's been pinched in a bolt somewhere.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

@Mattdel, I just want to take a second and thank you again for replying. When all this went down I was VERY frustrated. The expectedly easy swap had turned into a nightmare. Aside from have to the job 3 times due to seals not cooperating, I had the oil pump gear fall into the oil pan when I was stabbing the distributor the second time. You can imaging what I had to do to retrieve it. The list goes on and on...when I finally got it all back together , all seals/gaskets in place properly, no vacuum leaks , just cranking it to time it and set idle, wich it was poping thru the intake and back firing even after re- stabbing the dist at TDC several times, checking and changing wiring fireing order to get it right, I Think I was getting close to having rev up up ok , but no idle, when the fuel pump fuse kept blowing. So you can Imagine my frustration. After some research and clear thinking......and continued attempts to start the car. All of a sudden, I now have NO fuel pressure, even with the fuse good and the pump priming. I crank and crank , and the inline fuel guage shows NOTHING. It used to be at 40psi. Long story short, a tech friend of mine said, the pump was probable failing/strggling in the first place causing it to pull/draw voltage/amps and stressing/poping the fuse, finally the pump gave out. and even though the fuse is good and the system makes the priming noise, there is no pressure ...BAD FUEL PUMP. Im buying one tomorrow and doing it Thursday. Im also told that could be why I was having trouble getting her to start and run properly...Any input on the matter? Thanks Again.
~Marco
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Could be. Can't say I've ever seen a pump blow fuses from trying too hard, but I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Well the fuel pump is dead that's for sure. And he says he gets that all the time at the dealer he is a tech for. Its Nissan but I imagine if fuel pumps are failing and drawing to much and blowing fuses for one make, it goes for any. Well its seems that's what happened here. As I discussed it with him, I realized that, for quite some time, the car turned over numerous times before actually starting, and it didn't hold pressure with car off and key on....not to mention I would go lean at high RPM's, all suspects of a failing fuel pump. Im thinking all the cranking this week with VERY little gas in the tank(almost empty) nothing to cool the pump, etc...that did it in. Im going with a 190LPH, what do you think with my mods?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Oh not sure you saw my mods, they are as follows:
E303 CAM
BBk cool air intake
BBK 75mm throttle body
GT40 upper and lower(now)
24lb injectors
Granetelli #24 75mm MAF
MSD ignition/wires/cap/rotor/etc
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg.
Aluminum radiator
BBK headers(no cats)
3" Magnaflow off road exhaust w/x-pipe
I.R.S Rear with 3:55 gears (all out of a 2003 cobra)
Full Cobra suspension and brakes
Eibach springs
BBK strut tower brace
UPR Camber plates
ADR Ultra light Wheels(18x9 front/18x10 back)
And for added performance a fresh Cobra interior, also out of a 2003 Cobra.(recaro style with leather and swede) cobra logo and all. ....and Cobra floor mats. LOL!

Anyways you get it....NATURALLY ASPIRATED. btw, Im done with mods on this thing after all this...

190LPH ok?...

Quick Reply: GT40 intake swap, now blowing fuel pump fuse. HELP!