MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   94 GT Bucking/Bogging/Backfiring/Barely able to idle (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/696838-94-gt-bucking-bogging-backfiring-barely-able-to-idle.html)

90Stang306 06-15-2013 08:47 PM

94 GT Bucking/Bogging/Backfiring/Barely able to idle

Hey I have a 94 GT and I was driving today and out of nowhere it started bucking backfiring and bogging down. I managed to get it home but the fastest the car was able to go was about 5mph. I did a tune up a month ago and its been fine...Today I changed the fuel filter, ignition coil, checked the MAF and changed the EGR. The car ran good for 3 minutes after changing the EGR but then went right back to bucking/bogging/backfiring/barely running. Any suggestions as to whats happening here? I'm thinking the pick up in the distributor but not 100% sure. Please help

dawson1112 06-16-2013 05:00 AM

I have an idea , try to remove the vacuum line from the egr and plug it. If the egr vacuum control solenoid is bad it may have stuck open causing the egr to open . after that its usually the tfi or the pip in the dizzy that causes the bucking.

I would thing that with that much trouble you would have a trouble code stored in the computer. Does the check engine light come on at all?

90Stang306 06-16-2013 07:18 AM

no trouble codes, no check engine light. I'm gonna be buying the distributor this morning so hopefully thats the issue. I still need to install the new iac so maybe I'll pick up a tfi and a new MAF at the same time and just replace it all lol

90Stang306 06-16-2013 11:00 AM

ok I did what you said and it made a difference so I went out and bought the egr vacuum solenoid and now the car is at least running and I can drive it but its breaking up at about 2000rpms. Still doesnt have its full power but it goes for the most part. I might have to buy the TFI and MAF but im wondering if I fouled the spark plugs? What do you think?

dawson1112 06-16-2013 01:54 PM

you may need to take the egr off and clean it out so that it closes all the way. To much egr and it will stumble and cut out , I don't even have the egr hooked up on mine its blocked off and plugged.

Also it may help to clear the ecm by disonecting the battery for about 30 min.

90Stang306 06-16-2013 02:24 PM

The egr valve is brand new. I changed it yesterday. I picked up the TFI before but nobody around here had the dizzy or at least a pip so im gonna have to order those. I had a similiar problem on my 90 and it turned out the computer was bad. I'm hoping that isnt the case. Really dont want to buy a computer. Probably better off just buying a damn crate engine which was my original plan lol

90Stang306 06-16-2013 02:27 PM

Can you post a pic of how you have the egr blocked off?

j-town_edge 06-17-2013 03:11 PM

I know you said yoiu did a tune up recently, but have you checked your plugs? I only ask because you didn't mention it. IIRC, a blown plug or misfire usually shows up as a CEL.

90Stang306 06-17-2013 06:41 PM

I havent checked the plugs yet but I was thinking that I fouled them out from the car running like ****. Also I have no CEL coming on but I did buy a obd-1 scanner for fords so im gonna check if there are any codes stored. I also grabbed a tfi and a dizzy and I brought my fuel pressure guage home from work so im gonna go out and check all that **** now

90Stang306 06-17-2013 07:23 PM

Sooooooo I'm retarded.....here we go.....Since saturday when this started I called my father and asked him to drive behind me while I bring my car to my house because it only goes 5mph. When he got there he asked me what I think is wrong and my first answer was, I think the fuel pump is shot. Today I decide to bring my fuel pressure guage home. I hooked it up and at idle I have 38psi. As soon as I push the button on the guage my psi drops to 0. Looks like im gonna go buy a fuel pump tomorrow. Hopefully that is the problem but im almost 100% right now