5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Who's Converted to R134?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Waferboy
1st Gear Member

Default Who's Converted to R134?

Anyone converted from R12 to R134? I have a '93 LX that has A/C installed but it's been a long time since it blew anything that could be considered cool. So my car has all the parts and I see these kits from places like Late Model Restoration but I'm not finding any reviews or feedback on them.

I've dug through many of the threads in the forums and I didn't really find the answers or details I was hoping for. I know there is "R12 Freeze" as a substitute, but I have no issue with buying the conversion parts and installing it. I just was hoping to see if anyone has converted over with one of these kits and am curious to know if it all went well. I saw some of the installation instructions and they make me nervous... no pictures just a lot of words. I like pictures with the words because I don't want to make a $750 mistake.

So just looking for some folks experienced in this conversion and wondering how it went.

Thanks in advance!

Waferboy
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

best way to convert, go to your local parts store, get the fittings, evac the system, you could install a new orifice tube line with the orifice tube for 134a and a new receiver dryer, which is what I usually do and then once all parts are installed, I pull system into a vaccum and machine leak checks from there and then I add about 2 ounces of ester oilto account for parts removed/replaced then I recharge with 134a, last one I did 3 weeks ago, had system blowing 40 degrees F. Shouldn't cost you anywhere near 750.00........Some will say replace all o-rings, I usually don't and have yet to have a prob, I do replace o-rings where lines are replaced.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

2nd that. i used the a/c pro kit to refill. it comes with a gauge and braided hose.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

no reason to convert you can buy r12 cheap on ebay...last time i checked it was only about 2-4$ more per can...
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by rmodel65
no reason to convert you can buy r12 cheap on ebay...last time i checked it was only about 2-4$ more per can...
It must have been a while since you last checked?

R-12 is friggin expensive unless you're talking the Chinese ****z.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BI..._ipg=200&rt=nc

OP if you do a conversion from R12 to R134, be certain to flush all of the old lubricant out of the system. R12 system Mineral Oil lube is not compatible with R134 PAG oil.

If you can't or don't want to flush out your system, I've heard Esther oil will work for both systems but I can't say I have any personal experience with Esther oil.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

its been about a year or so cans pop up cheap all the time they are high right now because its the middle of summer :P
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Waferboy
1st Gear Member

So I'll ask... How many folks have just changed to R134? While it sounds some folks have had success with converting over the stock system the descriptions above aren't that clear to me. Anyone written down the steps involved? Any details/descriptions of how to do this stuff?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 AM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

I had a 92 with a freeze 12 put in and it wasn't expensive. I didn't do it my family member did the evac and installed a new dryer line/oraface tube. Just make sure all the r12 is out and put some PAC oil in to lube the seals. I believe that is the proper method to drain, then just have it filled with freeze 12 or switch fittings to r134a. It's just a PIA to switch that old R12. but gotta have A/C here in the desert in the summer!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Street rodder

I'd like to convert over to 134 a myself. I have a complete stock system on my car but it doesn't blow anywhere near cold air.
Some one out there has to have already tried this.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

You don't have to drain the old lubricating oil, nor do you have to evacuate the system entirely.

The old oil is heavier and will find lows. You can drain when you service parts in the future. If you don't evacuate the system entirely it will be a little warmer when the AC is running that is all.

Did mine almost 10 years ago, no problems.

Just get the retro kit. The instructions should be easy to follow along.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's Converted to R134?