5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 GT cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
msd143

Unhappy 1995 GT cooling issues

First off this is my first ever Mustang, got it Yesterday, and I have some questions.

The First thing I want to tackel is my cooling issues.

#1. When I start the car in the morning it takes for ever for the guage to come off the (N) on the temp guage. When it finaly does go up it will stay arond the (RM) of NORMAL. Then it will drop to the (N), and back and forth.
Im sure this is probably a Thermostat issue.

#2. When running the AC the temp will not drop but slowly will rise past to the (AL) of NORMAL, but I have not let it go to see how how it will get. It has a single electric fan, so is this fan supposed to be a 2 speed fan? When I checked it with the fan on it was on but did not seem to be on a very fast speed like I would think it should be. I have been reading some posts about the CCRM (I think thats whats it called), How would I go about checking this. I have located it behind the coolant tank.

Thats a good start for now. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

First off you cant rely on that dash temp gauge,

It is perfectly normal for it to fluctuate up and down as the thermostat opens and closes.

As long as it never creeps past the last line I wouldn't worry about it at all.
You will only no for sure if you leave the ac running until it gets up to that last line .
If it does you can start by changing the thermostat. If it never gets up to that last line then don't worry.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
msd143

Ok, next time i drive ill let it go a littel higher on the temp and see. Other than getting a mechanican temp guage, if the stock guage is that unreliable how do i know if it is truelly overheating with out it boiling over?

So for the electric fan is it a single or dual speed and is there an easy way to test it?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM
msd143

Ok after doing some digging in other threads, I have discovered that the 95 5.0 engines might or migh not have had a cooling fan circuit breaker that was installed with the cooling fan.

Can anyone tell me if this is required for the fan to opperate corectly.

I am also still trying to find out if the fan is a two speed fan, any one want to help.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

A circuit breaker would do what its name suggests, break the circuit. That will cause the fan to stop, not change speeds. Most cooling fans I’m aware of are only single speed fans. there are a bunch of video’s on youtube on how to test a cooling fan by using some jumper wires to the battery. If the fan is faster with the jumper wires then it is normally plugged in, then you have excessive resistance in the fan circuit wiring between the fan and the battery somewhere. Voltage Drop Tests are the easiest way to find excessive resistance on a circuit. Excessive drop is more then 0.5 volts.

Since you just purchased the car, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a good tune up including flushing the cooling system and putting a new thermostat in. It wouldn’t hurt, plus it will give you time to get to know your new ride. Good luck...
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Fan is 2 speed, when you do the diagnostic to pull codes it tests both speeds to verify fan is workin.

And yeah that gauge is junk, mine did the same thing so I installed an aftermarket gauge under the stereo right above the shifter, I removed the stock gauge sensor and placed the aftermarket sensor in its place. Do not try to connect the two gauges to the same sensor or the stock will max out and the aftermarket will not work. Just deal with the dead gauge.