5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Few questions

Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Wayne220

Default Few questions

I have a 85 mustang gt with 5.0 (no kidding right).

It is running rich, and I'm almost positive it was fuel injected be for since there is unused plugs that match fuel injected wiring. Anyhow here is the issues I'm having:

1. The engine at idle some times goes up and down in rpm between 700 to 1400rpm. I noticed that the 2 front barrels are dripping fuel at idle, I'm no carburetor guy, but don't think that's normal? It as the manual fuel pump on engine.

2. I here a clicking sound through the carburetor, and i have pulled valve covers and found no issue there. It does not do it at start up or a bit after. I do not hear it at all when reving engine. I did notice that the new exhaust fits tight under the car near firewall area, and thought maybe its hitting something causing this, again I'm not sure.

3. How do you adjust the clutch? Its a tranny out of a 95 mustang, and there is no adjustment at the tranny or the engine bay firewall. I am unable to find one under the dash?

The engine runs really great besides the above issues, compression is good etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Wayne220

No one?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

You'll find most guys on here may be geared toward the EFI stuff.

I'm not a carb expert but it shouldn't be dripping at idle.

If the clutch cables been replaced. Look at the other end of it by the throwout and see if there's the adjustment nuts and what not.

I'd get a stethoscope to really pin point the noise. Or a really long screwdriver or pry bar and put it to you ear.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Wayne220

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
You'll find most guys on here may be geared toward the EFI stuff.

I'm not a carb expert but it shouldn't be dripping at idle.

If the clutch cables been replaced. Look at the other end of it by the throwout and see if there's the adjustment nuts and what not.

I'd get a stethoscope to really pin point the noise. Or a really long screwdriver or pry bar and put it to you ear.
I pulled the drivers seat so i could look up under dash, i think its an auto adjusting clutch cable deal. I think the auto thing is bad, might replace with a manual adjusting cable.

It as not made the clicking said through carb the last time i started the car, but next time it does it (if it does it again), I'll try the screwdriver trick on it.

I just wonder if the manual fuel pump on engine is pumping to much pressure causing it to drip(no the first to bowls, but the ones that activate when your floor it or dripping). I'm going to pick up a 0-100 gauge this weekend.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I never had a stock cable in my car, but do a search on here for cable adjustment, I remember there being a certain technique to adjusting it

As for your carb, my truck is still carbed and at idle it does just drip in the primarys. At only 6-8 lbs. of pressure I don't think there would be a fine spray. But I'm no carb guru either.

Good luck
Old 09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Wayne220

Car clicks each time key is turned (one click each time) until it finally starts. Then after it warms up, once turn off it's hard to start(might not even start until cooled down). Like a low battery until cooled off. I been told timing, but then again I'm not sure.. It seems to run fine other then the carb being out of adjustment, only noticed at idle.

So it could be the solenoid or starter. The headers could be heating the starter up to much.

P.S: I"m pretty sure it needs a solenoid, just noting that.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I believe 85's were the last year for carbs on the mustang. 86 was the first year of fuel injection
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 AM
olsonlao

I'd get a stethoscope to really pin point the noise.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Wayne220

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I believe 85's were the last year for carbs on the mustang. 86 was the first year of fuel injection
It as the wiring harness for fuel injection, so it was converted at one time and then back (with harness left in car). Even as the computer plug etc in kick panel(no computer).

Can anyone explain the wiring for the solenoid? Like what wires should be on it etc. I think my starter is shot, but still want to double check this. It was cranking like a low battery, and now you can hardly hear the starter. I took the starter apart and did not notice anything out of the normal.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Wayne220

I read the battery goes on one of the big post and the rest on the other, however it will not give power to starter unless all hooked to one.

Anyhow: this is what the car is doing now (not my car, but sounds the same)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Few questions