5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tranny clunking making noise/ 1st&3rd gear trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Default Tranny clunking making noise/ 1st&3rd gear trouble

recently I have started to hear a weird clunking or tapping sound undernearth my 1990 gt. Its very slight and you have to stick your head underneath the car (not literally haha) to be able to hear it . The sound is coming from the area where the headers are probably being the tranny. In side the car i can hear the slight tapping or clunking underneath the shifter and boot when all windows are closed and listen carefully. Every now and then i have a little trouble putting the car into 1st gear forcing me to disengage the clutch and engage it again thus allowing me to shift into first. But yesterday it happened about 8 times over the course of a hour and a half drive around town. Today i could shift right into third for a split second and then it went in. I moved my shifter around a bit in neutral and when i pointed it more towards the right i could hear the clunking a bit more. Note to all- all this occurred with no beating or WOT during the driving. I have a Tremec 3550 transmission. Another thing 2 weeks ago I had got caught in a heavy downpour and had to drive home from a relatives house. I got caught in a big puddle getting onto an onramp of a highway probably 3 feet deep from my judgement. I was in 3rd and it caught me by suprise because it was dark and afterwards the car was running a bit strange losing power and cutting out probably because my intake filter sucked in a lot of water being right in the fender wall. The next day the car ran a little choked up but eventually got back to normal and runs just as it always has currently. My clutch had also gotten softer but is back to normal assuming my master cylinder got wet. My driver side and passenger side carpet was slightly damp the next day as well to water depth had to be pretty high i assume.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

actually i think 3 feet is a exageration. Im 6 foot 2 and if i stepped out into the puddle it would have gone a little past my shins im not sure
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

That's deep, sounds like a can of worms is about to be opened. Sorry I can't help with your tranny, but as you know water and electrical components don't get along. Did your car make it all the way thru the "lake" and how fast were you going?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM
IvanFiveLiter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
That's deep, sounds like a can of worms is about to be opened. Sorry I can't help with your tranny, but as you know water and electrical components don't get along. Did your car make it all the way thru the "lake" and how fast were you going?

Ahh that term makes me nervous! What would you think about it? As far as the atlantic ocean i drove through, i made it through fine i hit it in 3rd and the car almost stalled i guess because i came to a screaming hault but i put it into 1st right away and i was ok doing about 20mph or 30. Ill put up a little video or the tranny sound to give you an idea on here