5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 Gt Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Default 95 Gt Overheating issue

Ok guys I need some help. I've got a 95 Gt mainly stock. I just changed the thermostat in the car because all I was getting was cold air blowing through the vents. Also I only get air to blow through the defrost. I can turn the **** but it still only blows through the defrost. The real problem is that tonight it over heated. The temp gauge shot up to H and it was still blowing cold air. I pulled over popped the hood and there was antifreeze around the cap. I added antifreeze and it took a lot over a jug. I'm wondering if I have air in there from when I changed the thermostat. Or the water pump is bad. I don't see any other leaks. After I changed the thermostat I attempted to get the air out and it worked fine for a couple weeks. I work at a Subaru Dealership so I'm going to have the guys take a look at it tomorrow just wondering if you guys had any ideas that might lead them to the right place? Any help will really be appreciated guys. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Your losing/using coolant somewhere. Leak, or bad headgasket. That would be top priority to find out where its going. I doubt its a bad waterpump, you'd know right away, as in it would overheat right away. If you didn't get all the air out, like you said, it would do this. But if it was fine for a couple weeks, I'd say you had no air in system.

I'm not familiar with sn95 dashes, but only having defrost sounds like a vacuum line come off, or rub thru somewhere under the dash. Pull the panel with the switches (heating-cooling) and check that all vacuum lines are still connected. Then follow lines looking for leaks.

But first, find out where your coolant is going.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 10-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Your losing/using coolant somewhere. Leak, or bad headgasket. That would be top priority to find out where its going. I doubt its a bad waterpump, you'd know right away, as in it would overheat right away. If you didn't get all the air out, like you said, it would do this. But if it was fine for a couple weeks, I'd say you had no air in system.

I'm not familiar with sn95 dashes, but only having defrost sounds like a vacuum line come off, or rub thru somewhere under the dash. Pull the panel with the switches (heating-cooling) and check that all vacuum lines are still connected. Then follow lines looking for leaks.

But first, find out where your coolant is going.

Yea that's what I'm wondering where the coolant is going. It definitely doesn't leak when the car is off. The only spot I could see the coolant was around the cap, so maybe a bad cap? I don't think it's the head gasket no white smoke, runs perfect. It could be leaking around the water pump I guess. No signs around the hoses either. I tried to get the air out of the system but I'm not sure I got it all out. I hate messing with the cooling system of anything. It just never goes to plan.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

On a better note I picked up some brand new Dunlop sp sport 01 tires off a new Wrx that sold the other day. Tires run around $270.00 a piece and I got them for $600.00 Amazing grip. Probably only get about 30,000 miles out of them if I'm lucky but it will be an intense 30,000. I'll post when I figure out what's wrong with it tomorrow. I hope it's nothing major. I can deal with a water pump or radiator. A head gasket would be ok because I plan on doing a H/C/I over the winter so I'd just get an early start if the wife will let me dish out the $ sooner than expected. Overall I'm a pretty lucky guy, I mean I work at a dealership so I get 50% off labor, plus killer deals on parts and my fiancé's dad owns a machine shop.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Ineedmorespeed
1st Gear Member

To fix the air only coming out of the defrost. Its usually a vacuum line, check the small line coming from the vacuum tree under the hood on the driver side. It runs across the back of the motor and from the heat it gets very brittle and cracks. Thats the first place to check, second is to pull the glove box and check the few vacuum lines there(usually not the problem). Then check the switch.

And please update on what you find out on your overheating issue as I'm having the same issue. Luckly my cars getting put up for the winter and I'm rebuilding it. But would like to know what it could be before tearing it apart.

thx
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ineedmorespeed
To fix the air only coming out of the defrost. Its usually a vacuum line, check the small line coming from the vacuum tree under the hood on the driver side. It runs across the back of the motor and from the heat it gets very brittle and cracks. Thats the first place to check, second is to pull the glove box and check the few vacuum lines there(usually not the problem). Then check the switch.

And please update on what you find out on your overheating issue as I'm having the same issue. Luckly my cars getting put up for the winter and I'm rebuilding it. But would like to know what it could be before tearing it apart.

thx
I've checked all the vacuum lines and they seem to be ok. I think it may be the heater core. I will def post what's up with the coolant issue. It's so annoying.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Ineedmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Yea just make sure you check those lines really good, i ended up looking them over and they looked good. then i checked inside and then replaced the switch and it still only came out the defrost. Then went back to check the vacuum lines and found a crack in the line close to the firewall, replaced it and worked perfect.

Yea i was thinking heater core, just was hoping it is something else cause heater cores are a pain. I was thinking of bypassing it and see what that does.