5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 AM
stangfiveoh

Default Oil pressure gauge?

So I need some help. This morning i went to start my stang. Battery was dead. While my friend was on his way to give me a jump, I decided to check my oil. It was about a quart low. So first thing, I went to do an oil change at my friends house. Before leaving I put a quart in to be safe. Anyways. I noticed on the stock oil pressure gauge I was just a little above the L. Normally the needle is in the middle. So I did the oil change and still, it's just above the L immediately Upon start up and stays there. Is this something I should be worried about? This is the first oil change I've done since I bought the car (4 months ago/ 2000 miles ago) could it maybe be that I put 5w-30 in it? And the previous owner was using 10w-30? Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new oil pressure gauge but it may be awhile before I get it on. So until then, I wanna hear some peoples input on this. I know these are dummy gauges. But it's working enough for me to worry. What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The first thing I would do is get an aftermarket mechanical gauge and get an accurate oil pressure reading. Im not satisfied with L normal H to many things can cause the gauge to be unreliable as to what the actual pressure is. A bad, loose or dirty connection , or even a poor ground causes the gauge to act up. I have seen pple loose there minds watching the stock temp and oil pressure gauges, get a decent set of after market and you will stress much less over it.

My 94 use to show oil pressure at the H all the time so always thought I had high oil pressure I put a set of after markets on and the pressure was right at 42psi after warming up.

I personally don't ever use any oil less than 10w30 exept in my moms saab when I change her oil for her, and then it is only synthetic for that.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

The stock oil pressure gauge is crap. It is a dummy gauge, which basically says you either do or dont have oil pressure. In no way is it reliable. Mine did as Dawson stated and would read high all the time. No, that small change in oil weight would not hurt anything
Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 AM
stangfiveoh

Ok. Thanks guys. It was just weird that it never moved from the middle(while running) and all the suddenly did. But I'm buying gauges today because my temp gauge rarely works and if it does it shows it's running warm. But I don't believe it.
Appreciate the help!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM
stangfiveoh

Just picked up some aftermarket gauges. Anyone know what psi I should be running on the oil temp? I haven't put them in yet, but I'd like to know in advance. Hope I don't have worn out bearings. That might be a good thing though. I have a 351w that I can put in it.

Last edited by stangfiveoh; 10-27-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfiveoh
I have a 351w that I can put in it.
We are going to be good friends
Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Normally the oil pressure will be about 40-60 psi cold, 20 psi hot. Just depends on bearing clearances, condition, etc
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 PM
stangfiveoh

Ok. Thanks. So the 351w would be a good idea to put in? It needs a rebuild. But I got it for free. If I put it in stock would it have better performance than a stock 302?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That whole problem could well be the sending unit for the stock gage.
IMK, 10PSI per thousand engine RPM is what I've used for years.
So at 3000rpm, 30#, 5000RPM 50# and like that.....
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfiveoh
Ok. Thanks. So the 351w would be a good idea to put in? It needs a rebuild. But I got it for free. If I put it in stock would it have better performance than a stock 302?
No, then you just added about 50lbs. Some better heads, you would like the extra torque, especially w a heavy convertible

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge?