5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

more cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

how much of this red loctite do i put on the cam sprocket bolt?
lets say the bots is 1.25" long. do i coat the entire 1.25" of thread or do i just put a ring around someplace toward the middle of the bolt or ?

i coated the entire thread for the thrust plate bolts with the blue loctite, but im worried with this red stuff and needing the torch later whether coating the entire thread will make it that much harder to remove.

also, would i be ok using the blue on the cam sprocket bolt? my haynes manual says to use a non-hardening thread loc on the bolt. i assume the red is hardening? is there even such a thing as non-hardening? i mean, dont they all harden?
yes, i know that the haynes manual should be thrown in the garbage can.
thanks guys
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I used blue loctite on the cam sprocket bolt. As for the dowel pin, you said the play is in the cam or the cam sprocket? Whichever one has the play in it, put the loctite on just where the pin sits in the cam/sprocket.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I used blue loctite on the cam sprocket bolt. As for the dowel pin, you said the play is in the cam or the cam sprocket? Whichever one has the play in it, put the loctite on just where the pin sits in the cam/sprocket.
crap, i forgot to put the loctite on the dowel pin. i guess im going to do without on that

do i cover the entire length of the threads of the bolts i put this stuff on, or do i use just a little?

thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I put it on the end of the screw/bolt, as you thread the fastener in it will travel and cover the rest of the threads.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
I put it on the end of the screw/bolt, as you thread the fastener in it will travel and cover the rest of the threads.
thanks. that makes sense.
i guess i put way too much on the thrust plate bolts
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
thanks. that makes sense.
i guess i put way too much on the thrust plate bolts
You will have peace of mind that bad boy is not coming out haha
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok, so now im getting a little worried about this blue loctite stuff.
i used it the other day for the thrust plate bolts as we know.before that, i put a couple drops on some random piece of metal i had in my garage to see how it worked/dried/whatever since it was new to me.
stuff never dried, i dont know why.
i was/am concerned that this stuff is too watery. i thought it would be more viscous. i shook and kneaded the bottle for quite a long time, more than enough i think. probably at least 5 minutes.
so today i take my torque wrench and try to take off the thrust plate bolts. i wanted to see how much torque was needed. i was expecting it to be substantially higher than the torque used putting them on. to my dismay, the removal torque was basically the same as the install. i thought this loctite stuff was supposed to make it difficult to remove the bolts? also, it looks like most, if not all the loctite had dried (should have, it was in there for a week or so), but there was little on the threads and most migrated toward the top of the bolts so that it was connecting to the thrust plate.

so out of curiosity, i checked out what the red loctite was like, and it was more like what i was expecting from the blue stuff. it was like syrup.

i ended up cleaning up the bolts and reinstalling them with the blue, and i also installed the sprocket cam bolt with the blue. now im just waiting for you guys to tell me how i screwed up, or whether everything sounds normal and dont worry about it.

also, using the loctite is a precaution, or is it a necessity? like if i installed without any loctite, would it be a guarantee the bolts are gonna back out, or would it still be unlikely they loosen up?

thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

timing chan installed btw. perfect, right?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

The correct way is with a degree wheel and dial indicator setup. If its just a stock cam, then yes it looks very close
Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Regarding the loctite, how long did you let it sit for? What was the ambient temperature? I dont see a location in your profile

Quick Reply: more cam questions