5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Planning 86 5.0 build

Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM
gadawgfan54

Default Planning 86 5.0 build

So as the title says, I'm getting ready to build an 86 5.0. But it's not for me. My friend CJ just bought an 86 thats completely stripped except for engine, body, suspension, wheels and tires. He's not very mechanically inclined, so he asked me if I could do it and teach him as we go, so I said hell yeah. But I don't know much about mustangs except the basics. The plan as of now is to do a complete build, bottom to top, front to back. So I started putting together a parts list immediately, this is what I have so far:
Proformance unlimited fully dressed 302-http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/...350dropAL.html
tko 500 transmission with centerforce 11" clutch and flywheel
lakewood tko500 to 5.0 bellhousing
Long tube headers-need recommendation thinking jba
catless h pipe- need reccomendaton
slp or flowmaster exhaust
AGR rack and pinion, and pump
granatelli k member with a arms- but open to other options
UMI adjustable lower and double adjustable upper control arms
eibach springs, shocks, and sway bars
weld on sub frame connectors- need suggestions looking at steeda
strut tower brace- again want suggestons, but looking at steeda
msd 6 al ignition
msd starter
need suggestion for fuel pump was looking at holley 12-915, but dont know if that would work well.
Again all of this is just speculative, were about to go back to afghanistan so theres going to be a lot of time to figure it all out. We're open to any and all suggestions. I told him to go ahead and plan for a $20,000 build. He wants this to be his daily driver when we're done. This is what it looks like now.
Name:  IMAG0244_zps985a9e72.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  105.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0236_zpsa6a05ce4.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  72.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0237_zps1d572ae8.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0245_zps3e616b6a.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 11-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gadawgfan54
So as the title says, I'm getting ready to build an 86 5.0. But it's not for me. My friend CJ just bought an 86 thats completely stripped except for engine, body, suspension, wheels and tires. He's not very mechanically inclined, so he asked me if I could do it and teach him as we go, so I said hell yeah. But I don't know much about mustangs except the basics. The plan as of now is to do a complete build, bottom to top, front to back. So I started putting together a parts list immediately, this is what I have so far:

Proformance unlimited fully dressed 302-http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/...350dropAL.html
I, myself, am not a fan of Eagle internals. Seems their machining specs/tolerances can be all over the place, meaning extra machine work is needed to correct everything. Again, just my opinion.

tko 500 transmission with centerforce 11" clutch and flywheel
These transmissions can be notchy, especially when shifting above 5600 rpm. Extra work is needed to help with shifting. Contact Tony @ Astro Performance, he offers a "Sure Shift" upgrade to cure the notchiness.

lakewood tko500 to 5.0 bellhousing
SFI?

Long tube headers-need recommendation thinking jba
Most people go with BBK or Mac. Accufab in Canada also makes a damn good header, which is what I recommend. Either way, have them ceramic coated.

catless h pipe- need reccomendaton
BBK or custom

slp or flowmaster exhaust
Neither as they are restrictive. Try spintech, mac, magnaflow, dynatech, etc. I ran spintech pro streets, and they sounded fantastic. Real muscle tone

AGR rack and pinion, and pump
AGR is what I would recommend if you aren't going to run stock components

granatelli k member with a arms- but open to other options
QA1 has a full drop in kit. Check them out, a lot of people use them with no fitment issues. But good idea on the tubular stuff and dropping the front end weight

UMI adjustable lower and double adjustable upper control arms
eibach springs, shocks, and sway bars
I'm not going to be of much help here. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

weld on sub frame connectors- need suggestions looking at steeda
Maximum Motorsports. They are the highest quality, you won't be disappointed.

strut tower brace- again want suggestons, but looking at steeda
Delete it.

msd 6 al ignition
Don't need it.

msd starter
Don't need it.

need suggestion for fuel pump was looking at holley 12-915, but dont know if that would work well.
Stick with a 255lph walbro pump and a regulator.

We're open to any and all suggestions. I told him to go ahead and plan for a $20,000 build.
With everything you listed, that sounds ballpark. I would personally look into building the motor myself, but that's just me. Another option is to look into just a short block, and build the top end yourself. I would go with Coast High Performance or FordStrokers if you go that route.

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 11-09-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM
gadawgfan54

We're going with a ready to run crate engine due to time and simplicity. The bellhousing will be an sfi approved one. MSD pro billet distributor requires msd 6al box. Keep hearing good stuff about maximum motorsports, so i guess I'll check them out.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

We're going with a ready to run crate engine due to time and simplicity. The bellhousing will be an sfi approved one. MSD pro billet distributor requires msd 6al box. Keep hearing good stuff about maximum motorsports, so i guess I'll check them out.
I have an MSD pro billet dizzy. It does not require a box (although I have one)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM
gadawgfan54

Ok, I was just basing that off what Proformance had listed as other parts needed for the engine. Also looking at the possibility of a coyote swap. Anybody have any input? http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/f...-hp-4v-street/
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40 PM
gadawgfan54

with this. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=278
Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

a lot of wasted money in that engine and list of parts, if you got 20k to **** away, I'd find a better donor to work with, heck buy my 85 ready to roll for 14k and is twice the car that one will be when done, I put 25k+ in mine and it was in better shape than that. to make that car a presentable daily driver 30k+
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM
gadawgfan54

Not my car, not my money. He didn't pay very much for the car, and just asked me to help with the work. I've worked on a lot of cars and trucks and am comfortable with it, so I said sure. This is what he wants so I'm just gonna help. Plus I don't see putting $30k in this car, yes I easily could but it's not mine.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

. Plus I don't see putting $30k in this car, .
how not so?? the small list of parts you have puts you nearly at 20k and a coyote swap?? easily 30k for that car, the 11k price on that isn't as turn key as you think..............anyway you still got to figure in paint/exterior restoration, interior restoration, wheels/tires.....not sure by the pics but the passanger side rear looks like some cancer going on in the floor pan........also the motor set up you choose is set up for carb.......do you plan on ditching the efi?? if not figure an upgrade to the intake for efi as well as injectors tb and mass air conversion + ecm upgrade for mass air, cold air intake ect ect......trust me I know these cars extremely well, it's what I do on a daily basis. also if tranny is gone, you most likely are missing the driveshaft.....figure that in and a rear end rebuild with gear upgrade will be a desirable addition. also, do you plan on upgrading the brakes?? 86 came with the smaller 10 inch front rotors vs the 11 inch in 87.......if you plan on swapping to 87 style brakes , spindle upgrade is needed, which can be source used....I'd highly recommend such......you can cut some cost on your tranny selection, unless it plans to be raced, delete the tko 500, a t-5 will hold up to that motor which at the rear wheels will make 280-300. the 380 estimate they use is a flywheel number........also with either tranny selection you'll need to source the proper cross member as well as all the sensors such as speed sensor, back up switch and if using mass air a nuetral switch.

Last edited by mjr46; 11-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That crate 302 is $7200 and I saw no reference to what heads were used.
For about $6000 you can build a strong 347.
For maybe $4000 I can build a real good 302.
Better think twice about what you are doing here.......