5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331ci stroker low horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Neocracy

Default 331ci stroker low horsepower?

Picked up a 1993 gt with a 331 stroker short block from ford, forged internals, edlebrock intake, afr 185 heads, ford b303 cam, 70mm throttle body and 30lb injectors, the car is built for boost but didn't get that far.. receipts and dyno charts for everything, rated 308hp/347lb... retune recommended? Maf sensor looks stock
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Sounds low HP to me too.
IMHO, that cam is part of the reason.........
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

If its built for boost it won't make the power an NA build would. I would love to have that power in my car right now.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Neocracy

I was thinking of possibly an e303 or maybe a custom grind cam.. booze brothers performance is a stone throw from my house, but I would really like to stay n/a because its less hassle. The car likes to buck a little if I feather the gas as if its looking for my air, but I would like to get a few things before i get it tuned. Was thinking at least a bbk 30lb maf sensor?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Neocracy

Double post: also the engine only has 8k miles on it so I believe compression is still solid
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Neocracy
I was thinking of possibly an e303 or maybe a custom grind cam.. booze brothers performance is a stone throw from my house, but I would really like to stay n/a because its less hassle. The car likes to buck a little if I feather the gas as if its looking for my air, but I would like to get a few things before i get it tuned. Was thinking at least a bbk 30lb maf sensor?
seriously...e303?? not any better than a b cam.......no letter cam is good for a stroker motor.......low power on the 331 is due to most likely low comopression if dished pistons were used, shatty cam choice, small throttle body coupled to which edelbrock intake?? performer?? if so small intake.......sounds like mostly 302 parts on a stroker and if it has dished pistons, it'll always struggle for power without boost.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

With your setup the power looks to be on track to me. I think there could be improvements made, but I'm not surprised by the output.

First, if your still running the stock MAF without a tune and 30lb injectors, there's your biggest problem. The car will run extremely rich with that setup and it needs to be tuned or have the MAF changed for the new injectors. You'll pick up a good bit of power with this change alone.

Next- the B303 is a solid N/A camshaft, but it's far from optimum for a boosted engine. More than likely, your engine has lower compression than stock. Then adding a cam like the B303 with additional valve overlap, you're going to have extremely low dynamic compression. Low dynamic compression will result in more bucking and lack of torque. A cam change will go a long way for this engine.

Lastly, if the engine is lower compression and is made for boost, it's best to bolt on a power adder. Without it, the engine will always be lesser than other N/A engines in every category. There's a reason the engine is built for boost. There's more to it than just stronger internals.

Hope this info helps you out and puts things in a better perspective. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Neocracy

Thanks for the replies, trying to stay n/a but trying to get the most out of the engine... hell might as well slap a vortec on it. Also about the intake, the guys dad got it cheap before it was milled by distribution with the logo. So that's another future upgrade, the cars but perfect but hell she'll get there
Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the replies, trying to stay n/a but trying to get the most out of the engine... hell might as well slap a vortec on it. Also about the intake, the guys dad got it cheap before it was milled by distribution with the logo. So that's another future upgrade, the cars but perfect but hell she'll get there
Don't worry, all of my cars have been a work in progress too. It'll come together nicely with a few tweaks. At least you're off to a good start. 300rwhp is still a lot of fun!

I like the vortech idea btw. We did the same on our Project Foxbody!

Shane
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

I have had supercharged and turbocgarged cars, I would go with a turbo. More power at lower boost is always good.

Quick Reply: 331ci stroker low horsepower?