5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

prep work for new hydraulic lifters?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default prep work for new hydraulic lifters?

hey guys
i will be installing brand new hydraulic roller lifters once i get the new cam installed.
what i want to know is other than dropping the lifters into place, what if anything do i need to do beforehand, during, and after install to make sure i do things right.
for example, i have seen at least one youtube vid advising soaking the lifters for at least a couple days prior to install. is this legit or some maniac making videos?

do i use assembly lube when installing the lifters?

feel free to answer these questions and give any other tips/advice/recommendations

thanks in advance.

currently, the everything is off the top end of the car down to the block and the cam is out, if that matters.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
hey guysfor example, i have seen at least one youtube vid advising soaking the lifters for at least a couple days prior to install. is this legit or some maniac making videos?
Just make sure the lifter bores are free of any debris (there really shouldn't be any). Drop the lifters in. As for soaking the lifters, you can do it that way or you can prime the oiling system before you start the motor, which is always recommended
Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The point of soaking the lifters is to try prime the lifters with some oil before you start them up, so the lifters don’t squish after initial startup. When I replaced the lifters in my wifey’s ’98 3.8L the new lifters all came pre-primed with a little oil inside them. Yours might also. You don’t need to soak the lifters for a couple days. Overnight should be fine. Although, I don’t believe soaking is necessary. As Duncan_GT mentioned, you should prime the oiling system before starting the car the first time. That will prime the lifters with oil a lot more efficiently, accurately & reliably them soaking.

I would, however, use assembly lube when installing them, especially on the cam lobes and sides/bottom of the lifter. Unless you have an electric oil pump, when you prime the oiling system you will be turning the motor over. Which means that the lifters will be riding on the cam. You don’t want that to happen with the lifters/cam dry. Assembly lube will help keep things lubed up during that initial priming/startup. Good luck...
Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
I would, however, use assembly lube when installing them, especially on the cam lobes and sides/bottom of the lifter. Unless you have an electric oil pump, when you prime the oiling system you will be turning the motor over. Which means that the lifters will be riding on the cam. You don’t want that to happen with the lifters/cam dry. Assembly lube will help keep things lubed up during that initial priming/startup. Good luck...
No. He needs to take his distributor out and spin the oil pump driveshaft with a drill. This ensures that the oiling system is primed, and nothing is rotated over = no moving parts. This is how to correctly prime the system.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
No. He needs to take his distributor out and spin the oil pump driveshaft with a drill. This ensures that the oiling system is primed, and nothing is rotated over = no moving parts. This is how to correctly prime the system.
thanks
the top of the oil drive shaft is square? what do i use to spin it?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

thanks
the top of the oil drive shaft is square? what do i use to spin it?
i mean, i know im going to use a drill, but is there some special adapter needed or does square end of my 1/4" extension fit onto the oil pump drive shaft, or ?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Look at bottom of distributor shaft - it is out of the car

That is the size of the rod you need to turn the oil pump.... buy one at most
auto parts stores or online...
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Found this online - hope it helps

"To prime it remove the distributor and put a socket with an extension taped to it on the oil pump driveshaft and spin it counterclockwise with an electric drill?

Read more http://www.kgbanswers.com/how-do-you-prime-an-oil-pump-in-a-ford-302/20857305#ixzz2kMvQpsuX"
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

i mean, i know im going to use a drill, but is there some special adapter needed or does square end of my 1/4" extension fit onto the oil pump drive shaft, or ?
Sure you're looking at the right thing? My stock driveshaft and ARP hardened shaft were both hexagonal.

In any case, TAPE the extensions and socket. You'll thank me when you don't drop the socket down into the oil pan

Last edited by Duncan_GT; 11-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
Sure you're looking at the right thing? My stock driveshaft and ARP hardened shaft were both hexagonal.

In any case, TAPE the extensions and socket. You'll thank me when you don't drop the socket down into the oil pan
no, was going off my terrible memory.
so its a hex? ok. i will double check it when the time comes anyway.
thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: prep work for new hydraulic lifters?