5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Taking Bumps Too Hard

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

reldla1996: how in God's name do you get this car to turn!!!??? My 3 point turns, are 6 point turns. It just does not turn!! lol As far as taking corners, yeah the set up I have does a great job, but turning sharply like the new cars do... forget it! Which lower control arms do you have? Also, which shocks and struts are softer to help with the bumps? Koni?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

barnett468: Your right, smaller sway bars would help it, but the straighter launches I got from them and the subframe connectors are more important.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

On turning radius, you are correct, the Fox has a large one, but that does not matter for handling, only for parking and such.... If you want to turn sharp, light the back tires up, cut the wheel, and it will whip right around.... You can get more than sub frames to brace the frame up, and each addition will make a difference in handling, along with better control arm bushings, front and rear. Koni's will likely be stiffer. Softer will probably be OEM style. I've always used Steeda rear LCA, and currently have adjustable uppers, I believe Steeda as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Didnt read the whole thread so if someone mentioned this already..sorry.

To the OP: Did you replace the pinion snubber with a smaller one since you lowered your car? What could be happening if its the rear that feels bad to you is when you hit a speed bump or whatever, the axle is coming up and smacking that much closer pinion snub and bouncing off that.

However, I would suspect those monroes the most.. You can get bilstiens/koni/KYB ect that are valved for your specific spring. Hell, call up Maximum Motorsports and have them valve you a set of shocks/struts specifically for those B spring rates(which are NOT that aggressive by the way). B springs are a very moderate progressive rate that should feel good on a daily driver. A good shock/strut combo for those springs would be anything that matches up with Eibach's pro-kit springs. Both are progressive with similar spring rates and both drop about an inch.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

H0SS302: No, I never changed the pinion snubber, but the back is not as bad as the front. When I take bumps, the front is worse.

reldla1996: I know what you mean now, when I first got the car it was set up sort of like that and I could turn the car 90 or 180 degrees without going forward. lol It was fun to drive, but I live in a part in Florida where people are EVERYWHERE, it's over crowded, streets are congested, traffic sucks, and nobody knows how to drive. Point being, I needed it straight because I don't have the environment to have fun like that.

Everybody: So what everybody is getting at is aftermarket shocks/struts such as Koni or Bilsteins will more likely make the ride stiffer which is not what I'm after. What a possible solutions would be is to get a caster camber plate kit, get smaller sway bars, or both.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Talking Control Arms and Frame

also reviewing the suspension modifications we all do,MAINLY THE SPRINGS AND CONTROL ARMS I have found myself and most of us not checking our differential pinion angle,please watch this video below. I think its very important to get adjustable control arms depending on what your results are.A simple cheap angle finder is fine,however you need to measure the car on a flat surface.

I go the extra mile and have a person sit in the driver seat, to duplicate the weight when checking, the same on my alignments.The difference is night and day.

The entire drive train has to work together as freely as possible, when you take bumps, road corners,accelerate, everything changes, and awkward handling under extreme conditions could result and cause bad things to happen,such as you lose control of the car, mainly the rain, because the front and rear are not working together but SEPARATE FROM ONE ANOTHER.
This video is just to show you how sloppy a typical rear end is, and how the angle constantly changes on the road, as to the importance of why your angles are to be correct, as even a slight 2 degree off makes this situation way worse.

Even slightly off, just from the age of flexing, worse when we mod the car;has a very SERIOUS effect on how the car behaves itself, BECAUSE THE FRONT AND REAR ARE NOT WORKING TOGETHER. So, getting rid of the slop in the suspension is great, and you simply adjust the control arms to line them all together, so the front and rear enjoy your mods AS A WHOLE.

Last edited by aode08; 01-05-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Talking Control Arms and Frame

also reviewing the suspension modifications we all do,MAINLY THE SPRINGS AND CONTROL ARMS I have found myself and most of us not checking our differential pinion angle,please watch this video below. I think its very important to get adjustable control arms depending on what your results are.

The entire drive train has to work together as freely as possible, when you take bums, road corners,accelerate, everything changes, and awkward handling under extreme conditions could result and cause bad things to happen,such as you lose control of the car, mainly the rain, because the front and rear are not working together but SEPARATE FROM ONE ANOTHER.

Even slightly off, just from the age of flexing, worse when we mod the car;has a very SERIOUS effect on how the car behaves itself, BECAUSE THE FRONT AND REAR ARE NOT WORKING TOGETHER. So, getting rid of the slop in the suspension is great, and you simply adjust the control arms to line them all together, so the front and rear enjoy your mods AS A WHOLE.