5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Build Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 AM
BlackStallion5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Build Advice Please

Hey guys,

Hopefully I'm not in the wrong section but I need some advice. Over the past year and a half I rebuilt my 5.0 motor and need some help finishing it up before going in the car. To give a little background, I rebuilt the bottom end and added a few things up top. I had a set of GT40P heads in which I installed the TFS spring upgrade kit as well as a stud conversion kit so it would accept Comp Cams 1.6 RR's. After doing some research, I landed on a TFS Stage 1 cam because it seemed like the most bang for my buck going off the shelf(some may disagree) and to be honest I didn't think my combo warranted a custom grind(nor could I afford it) since this car is going to be a daily driver and will most likely never see the track. Right now I have to stay with the stock upper and lower intakes (w/65MM throttle body & spacer to match) because I had to sell my cobra's(among other things) to help pay for another rolling chassis due to finding more frame rot than I originally thought I had on my original '88 GT. I will also be staying with the stock 19# injectors and this is where I will ask for your expertise...

1. My original '88 GT was obviously an SD car which I converted mass air and will transfer over to the '88 I just picked up. After I converted the first time my car never ran right afterwards and it went into storage shortly after. I was lead to believe that the stock ford mass air sensor I picked up years ago was incorrect. I have tried to get a sense of which MAF will work best with my set up but with all of the choices and sizes out there I have no idea of what will work best without needing a tune. Some one please help me with this!

2. I am looking to replace the distributor to help the car run more efficiently and lets face it the original had 125,000 miles on it and it seems like a good time to do so. Like I said this car is going to have to be a daily driver and I need it to be reliable. I looked into MSD, Mallory and stock replacements from local part stores and have seen good and bad reviews on all of them. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction of one that is affordable and will be reliable...

3. A while back I was able to pick up a TFS SFI 50oz harmonic balancer cheaper than a stock replacement when I happened to be in the right place at the right time (Summit Racing). I have had an ATI 11 o'clock position pointer which didn't seen right and now have a 10 o'clock position pointer which also doesn't look right. Can anyone tell me which one I need and how to install it to work correctly?

I know this is a little long but any advice is welcome. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 AM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

As far as dizzy go the stock style is the most reliable IMO. It should provide plenty of spark. Using the stock intake is taking a lot of the gains youre getting from the cam and heads. At the very least pick up the gt40 upper from an explorer. My local you pull it sells them for 35.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:35 PM
BlackStallion5.0
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response man. I think I will go with a motor craft style distributor...I've heard in some cases that its produced more power than MSD etc. Any ideas on what size MAF? Or what brand is good? Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

You'll use the same maf since your injectors are not changing. But since you've upgraded the size of the throttle body you'll need a bigger housing for the maf. Check out c&l. They have different size housings and all you do is change the a calibration tube for different injectors without having to change the maf. www.cnlperformance.com
Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
BlackStallion5.0
1st Gear Member

Wow that's it? Awesome man, Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackStallion5.0
Wow that's it? Awesome man, Thanks for the help!
Yep I have a C&L maf housing with a 30lb injector sample tube and it works good.

They make sample tubes for all different size injectors , it is basically just fooling the computer into thinking less air is being drawn in .

As far as the conversion to MAF goes, one of the most over looked aspects of a MAF conversion is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Some guys have converted with out adding this and have problems when coming to a stop there car either remains at very high idle or it wants to die.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BlackStallion5.0
Thanks for the response man. I think I will go with a motor craft style distributor...I've heard in some cases that its produced more power than MSD etc. Any ideas on what size MAF? Or what brand is good? Thanks again!
distributors don't produce any power, stock or not.....they only provide a pathway for the spark to reach the cylinder at the proper timing
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM
BlackStallion5.0
1st Gear Member

I appreciate the help guys!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
whtbullitt

I would recommend the Pro-M 75mm mass air myself. I feel they are a much better piece (they don't trick the computer with a tube) and look better because they are available in chrome.
C&L is ok, I have one now but will be switching back to Pro-M.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtbullitt
I would recommend the Pro-M 75mm mass air myself. I feel they are a much better piece (they don't trick the computer with a tube) and look better because they are available in chrome.
C&L is ok, I have one now but will be switching back to Pro-M.
They still trick the computer. They just do it with electronics

Quick Reply: Build Advice Please