5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 mustang GT problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM
Rajuncajun601

Default 1995 mustang GT problem

I recently picked up a 1995 mustang gt convertiable with 5.0 for 500 dollars. I work at a scrap tow yard and i bought it when we got the title on it. It had been sitting for 6 months.I did a tune up changed all the fluids but I am having one problem. she will be running fine then the check engine light comes on and when you try to get on it the engine bogs down. If you turn off the engine and start it the check engine light goes off and she runs perfect. When the check engine light comes on as long as your not getting on the gas she is ok but when you get on it thats when she has problems. I put are computer on it at work but it wont read the codes it says error unable to read codes but really wouldnt matter cause the check engine light wont come on till after you been driving a while. Can someone please help me i thought it might be a sensor or something any ideas?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

First you cant read the codes with an obdII scanner on the 95 gt.

Use the paper clip method in this article and you will be looking for 3 digit codes.
http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7908
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

sounds like a issue to do with it warming up obviously. I've replaced so many o2 sensors in my past stangs I should be rich. Try the O2 sensors and then think about the cats.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Get a paper clip and pull codes first. No sense spending money and hoping it's the problem when the car is trying to tell you what's wrong.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Don't just start throwing parts at it, do like I said in my previous post, and like BabyGt says.

You cant just guess at it if the cel is coming on then its storing a code.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

"Use the paper clip", sure, EECIV works like a charm in diagnosing CEL's. 99% of the time the light flashing codes is confusing. Take it to auto zone or o'reillys and have them read it!!!!!!! They can tell you the code and then you can go dig for the problem by throwing parts at it because EECIV codes are ambiguous at the least. BEEN THERE!

The engine light only comes on for smog related issues only anyway.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruehlc
"Use the paper clip", sure, EECIV works like a charm in diagnosing CEL's. 99% of the time the light flashing codes is confusing. Take it to auto zone or o'reillys and have them read it!!!!!!! They can tell you the code and then you can go dig for the problem by throwing parts at it because EECIV codes are ambiguous at the least. BEEN THERE!

The engine light only comes on for smog related issues only anyway.
Really ? Smog related issues only?

The codes are not confusing .
The cel comes on for many more reasons than just smog related issues.

And autozone or orielys only know how to use an OBDII scanner , which in this case is useless because 95 gt was still OBDI.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
olsn95gt

ok so I get my taxes back and picked my 95 GT from a friend for $1950. I drove it home with no radio. this is my first stang. well the fuel gauge is not working least of my worries right now. but I put a radio in it yesterday and now my dash lights and night time running lights don't work. headlights and interior light still work. b/f u say fuses I already checked and replaced any and all fuses that were blown or messed up. and still no lights on dash or at rear of car when headlights are on. HELP
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

OK so why do ODBI (EEECIV) check lights come on? Tell me? I need to learn. Ive had 8 Mustangs 95 and before and all CEL's were emission related and I could not smog my car until the light was repaired. I have the same reader as O'Reilly's, I understood it.
but due to abiguity, I ended up throwing parts at the most logical source. ODBII is stupid and makes no sense with all the sensors and will always be the reason I dont buy a 96 + mustang. My 5.0 is the most simplest car I've ever repaired due to its lack of sensors and predictability. And by the way dawson, brakes are spelled breaks in your sig. Dont say O'reilly's only knows ODBII. I worked there and read many EECIV codes. Sold a lot of o2 sensors.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruehlc
OK so why do ODBI (EEECIV) check lights come on? Tell me? I need to learn. Ive had 8 Mustangs 95 and before and all CEL's were emission related and I could not smog my car until the light was repaired. I have the same reader as O'Reilly's, I understood it.
but due to abiguity, I ended up throwing parts at the most logical source. ODBII is stupid and makes no sense with all the sensors and will always be the reason I dont buy a 96 + mustang. My 5.0 is the most simplest car I've ever repaired due to its lack of sensors and predictability. And by the way dawson, brakes are spelled breaks in your sig. Dont say O'reilly's only knows ODBII. I worked there and read many EECIV codes. Sold a lot of o2 sensors.
that's all you got ? to correct my spelling lol

Emissions and smog related codes are at best a small fraction of what the computer can diagnose OBDI or OBDII.
And since you worked at "O'ripofflys" your knowledge of cars must be tremendous.
Your telling a guy he needs to change the 02 sensors then think about the cats, and in all reality the computer can not even look at the efficiency of the cats on the 95 and earlier cars , so it couldn't set a code for them. The 02 sensors have absolutely noting to do with " Smog " equipment, there sole purpose is to feed the computer with data to adjust the fuel mixture, oh and there are codes for 02 sensors.
There are also codes for a faulty ECT , MAF , ACT , TPS , and the list goes on.
Now back to your theory of the smog and 02 relationship, On the 96+ OBDII there are a second set of 02 sensors after the cats that feed the computer the same data as the pre cat 02 sensors , the OBDII PCM compares the data of the 2 sets and can then determine the effectiveness of the cats, then and only then will it set a code for catalytic inefficiency. An impossible task for 95 and earlier 5.0 mustangs.

No sir , you can not guess at why the DTC was set and then throw parts at it, this is why we read the codes .

So unless you can come up with a better excuse as to why you think throwing money at the car with out proper diagnosis , other than my spelling mishaps , you should stick to wasting your own money.

Quick Reply: 1995 mustang GT problem