5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Having a few issues...Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Ineedmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Default Having a few issues...Please help..

Im having a few issues with my, 95 GT 5speed.

1st) My battery dummy light flashes/comes on and goes off at times.. I have read other posts and had the alternator tested(Charging Fine). I've also had the Battery replaced, rechecked and replaced again(Battery is good, never dies or has issues. I have also read that the most common thing is a bad ground, I have checked all ground and all connections are tight. Just in case I had a bad Wire somewhere I also Added a new ground to the engine and body. But still with all this the battery dummy light keeps coming on/going off at ramdon..

Is there anything else I could check or try to fix this problem?(besides pulling the bulb as not to see it)

2nd) I was told when I bought the car that it had a new clutch put in it. I started haveing clutch issues after a month or so, at first the pedal slowly started coming further up before engaging. So I figured time for a clutch and they lied to me about it being new. No big deal Replaced the clutch old one was toast. Replaced it everything started fine, pedal engaged quick. Now as its still a lil cold here, First thing in the morning when cold its hard to get into gear and if I try to shift into second it wants to grind before going into gear. As the day goes and it and the car gets hot the pedal slowly starts coming futher up before engaging.

Was wondering if the cable could be the issue? or could there be something else.

Thanks in advance for all info and help.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Ineedmorespeed
Im having a few issues with my, 95 GT 5speed.

1st) My battery dummy light flashes/comes on and goes off at times.. I have read other posts and had the alternator tested(Charging Fine). I've also had the Battery replaced, rechecked and replaced again(Battery is good, never dies or has issues. I have also read that the most common thing is a bad ground, I have checked all ground and all connections are tight. Just in case I had a bad Wire somewhere I also Added a new ground to the engine and body. But still with all this the battery dummy light keeps coming on/going off at ramdon..

Is there anything else I could check or try to fix this problem?(besides pulling the bulb as not to see it)

2nd) I was told when I bought the car that it had a new clutch put in it. I started haveing clutch issues after a month or so, at first the pedal slowly started coming further up before engaging. So I figured time for a clutch and they lied to me about it being new. No big deal Replaced the clutch old one was toast. Replaced it everything started fine, pedal engaged quick. Now as its still a lil cold here, First thing in the morning when cold its hard to get into gear and if I try to shift into second it wants to grind before going into gear. As the day goes and it and the car gets hot the pedal slowly starts coming futher up before engaging.

Was wondering if the cable could be the issue? or could there be something else.

Thanks in advance for all info and help.
1. replace alternator.......when they test it, it may be fine, however testing it and catching the glitch when it doesn't charge will be tough, replace it and be done with it.

2. change trans fluid, make sure it is dextron 3 mercon, as for the grind issue, tranny will need a rebuild, new second gear and all new blocker rings

3. pedal issue, may have a cable stretching
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Ineedmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Thx mjr,

I will try replacing the alternator to fix that issue.

I replaced the trans fluid when I did the Clutch, as for the grind in 2nd only does it first thing when cold. After a few shifts and when it warms just a bit everything shifts fine through the gears. Could the cable be the issue for both, A little to tight when cold and stretching when hot causing the grind when cold and pedal lift when hot????
Old 03-20-2014, 05:45 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Thx mjr,

I replaced the trans fluid when I did the Clutch, as for the grind in 2nd only does it first thing when cold. After a few shifts and when it warms just a bit everything shifts fine through the gears. Could the cable be the issue for both, A little to tight when cold and stretching when hot causing the grind when cold and pedal lift when hot????
Generally if there is an issue with the clutch or cable that is causing shifting problems it shows it self while trying to put the car in first gear, or reverse .

As for the battery light coming on, you didn't say when it comes on.
Does it do it only when you rev the engine or does it do it at idle as well?
Could be a loose/warn drive belt even.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Thx mjr,

a problem centered around one gear is not a cable issue, cable would affect all shifts, for second gear the issue is and I've had that very issue before and have rebuilt numerous t-5's, blocker ring for that gear gets worn as well as the hub it meshes with = 2nd gear, syncronizer hub is built on to said gear, since 2nd and 3rd are the main abuse gears , when rebuilding a t-5 I often end up replacing 2nd and or third gear or both, depending on the condition of the meshing teeth on the hub and tranny gets all new blocker rings as well, so rebuild the tranny.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Ineedmorespeed
1st Gear Member

As for the battery light, the belt and tensioner are new. The light comes on whenever it feels like, sometimes at idle sometimes while reving. Itll then sometimes go off at idle or while reving. Seems there is no method to the madness.

As for the clutch it is really hard to get it into 1st gear, and then shifting to 2nd. But once warm every gear shifts perfectly fine.

I just order an adjustable clutch cable, going to toss that on when I get it. Hopefully that will fix it.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Its possible that the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted at the quadrant to take some of the slack out.

You have to push the pedal to the floor, then use something to hold the quadrant in place and lift the pedal up a few clicks.

Clutch should fully disengage at about 3/4 pedal , if its not then it will be hard to shift and hard to put into gear .

Its a pain in the rear to do since you have to lay on the floor to reach under there , it helps to pull the driver seat out.