5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

any one can answer this question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
5overt
1st Gear Member

Default any one can answer this question.

I have searched and i know it here but I can not find the idle surge checklist, or how to pull codes koer koeo either one. could you please let me know where they are thanks

Also is it possible for the egr to put oil in my motor and blow it out the tail pipe. if so is there any way to block it off. I already have the egr delete plate. but the hoses are still hooked up going thru the main egr plate.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If your engine idles high for a few seconds then idles low for a few seconds that is known as hunting idle.
Most common cause is a vacuum leak some where, but it can also be caused by a failing TPS , dirty IAC , dirty MAF .
Its caused by the ecm trying to maintain a steady idle speed .
If you have a vacuum leak for instance , the unmetered air causes the idle to go up, the ecm then tries to compensate for that high idle by closing off the IAC , as it closes the IAC the idle drops and the vacuum drops with it so the vacuum leak stops sucking in as much unmetered air and the car almost dies or idle drops below what the ecm is trying to maintain so it opens the IAC back up again to bring the idle up, which causes the vacuum to rise and start the process all over in a constant battle with the ecm to maintain a set idle speed.
Check all vacuum lines for loose connections or cracks , a good way to find a vacuum leak is by doing a smoke test. By filling the upper intake with smoke and using about 5 psi of compressed air to blow it out.
For instance if you have smoke coming out from under the intake or at any hoses then you have found your leak.

Replace the PCV valve as you state you have oil in your exhaust the PCV may be stuck open and sucking in to much oil/air causing vacuum leak .

Pull the codes like this http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7908

Clean IAC and MAF then do a base Idle reset.

1. Disconnect your negative on your battery to clear/reset your computers memory. caution when ever you disconnect your battery remove the negative first then positive, reconnect in the reverse order, if you dont you can possibly cause a battery explosion or destroy your computer. Leave your battery disconnected for at least 30 mins to let the capacitors in the ECM to discharge fully.

2. Disconnect the IAC connector.

3. Reconnect your battery.

4. Start the motor, with the IAC plug disconnected.

5. Set your idle, via the stop plate screw on the throttle body, between 650-850 rpms, it is best to set it at the lowest setting to prevent idle problems, such as surging, rolling etc.

6. Turn the motor off and reconnect the plug on the IAC.

7. Start the motor at let it run for 2-4 mins at idle with all accessories off, if the motor stalls out or the idle drops to low repeat steps 4-6.

8. Once your idle is good, turn the motor off and wait 2 mins, then start it back up and run for another 2 mins with all accessories on.

9. Check your TPS voltage. It should be at .94-.98v If its to low or to high your going to have to look up how to adjust the tps voltage l

10. If your idle and TPS are good, allow 10-20 mins to let the computer "relearn" under normal driving conditions.

Egr does not let oil into the engine. It is exhaust gas only. It can allow engine coolant to get into the intake on the foxbodys if the egr coolant spacer is leaking .

Oil in the exhaust means a bad PCV or leaking valve seals. Or even worn rings.