5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

convertible top liners on Foxbody verts. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Default convertible top liners on Foxbody verts. Worth it?

I've got a brand new black top on my 92 LX. Fits great. But, it's kind of toasty in the summer sun, and kinda loud on the highway. Those Flowmasters sound great with the top down, or windows open and top up, but with the top up and windows up it's sorta like riding in a B-17. (not that I ever have...yet)

Anyway, I see black top liners for about $150, and they recommend having them professionally installed.

My question is, do they noticeably manage heat/cold, as well as noise, as advertised?

And how hard to install? I'm a DIY kind a guy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

heck no, it's a convertible, they are noisey rattle traps to begin with, tough to make them quiet...or at least mine is..lol
Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Great question - have one waiting for an answer

A brand new headliner came with my car... it was just removed from the box as I needed it to ship something else.

Does not look too hard to install and it is on my To Do List.... already full of rubber top seal replacement items.

I too would like to know what it "does" other than make the under side of the vert top look better by covering the metal braces... a little cooling help would
be great... they are rattle traps without all the normal support pieces for the roof... get rid of the noisy mufflers and install some Magnaflow mufflers... I could
not stand a loud droning vehicle and especially in a convertible.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 AM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Even with quieter exhaust I would still be interested to install a liner IF they in fact help manage heat (or cold for that mater). I drove home 260 miles midday the day I bought it in SC and even with a fresh charge to the a/c I was pretty clammy on my back side even in cloth seats. It was sunny, average humidity for August (read "HIGH") and low 90's.

A white top would be cooler, but it's black, and I like the look, and it's new.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Guess not too many people have headliners?

Am surprised at the lack of response to this logical question? Guess I will have to install my headliner and report what change(s) it makes....
Old 09-25-2014, 02:25 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Am surprised at the lack of response to this logical question? Guess I will have to install my headliner and report what change(s) it makes....
I'd come help just to see how it goes in if I weren't 4 time zones away.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 AM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I was looking at convertible headliners on-line and it seems that improved cosmetics are what they primarily pitch. Maybe an incremental increase in insulation against temp and noise, but the blurb at mustangsunlimited.com didn't mention anything beyond improved appearance, which is the least of my concerns with a new top.

Please let me know how the install goes, and your impressions afterwards. Thanks.

I might do that along with some new driver side seat foam this winter.

Last edited by oldfella; 09-27-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:23 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

only 93 verts came with the headliners factory iirc. i had a 91 i doubt a little piece of material would make a tremendous difference. i live in the south so we dont get to freezing buy a few days a year lol
Old 09-27-2014, 03:40 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
only 93 verts came with the headliners factory iirc. i had a 91 i doubt a little piece of material would make a tremendous difference. i live in the south so we dont get to freezing buy a few days a year lol
I'm in NC and was hoping it might insulate some against the summer heat if I take it on a trip. I may put a liner in this winter when I get bored one cold weekend, and just roll the dice with it. $150
Old 09-27-2014, 04:06 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

it will make the car look better from the inside..since you wont see the bows anymore. i live about 30 mins north of florida in south georgia. my fox with the ac on always stayed cool enough in the summer.

Quick Reply: convertible top liners on Foxbody verts. Worth it?