5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Insurance Question (Important)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
oldfella
1st Gear Member

I just insured my very clean '92 LX 5.0 convertible with Hagerty for $10,000 stated value. Full coverage for about $300 annual premium.

The policy says it's for 2500 miles a year but they told me on the phone they only get worked up if they find it is driven as a daily driver, or I get up around 5,000 miles a year. Otherwise it's all good. I'm in NC. I did put on the application that it is "modified" but I hadn't changed anything that they specifically ask on the form. Just all of the usual list of bolt-ons.

I'm late 50's, and have no violations or claims. This might have affected the quote.

Last edited by oldfella; 10-21-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Well I also have a perfect driving record and I live in FL. Florida is where all the douche bags of the world come to drive, so auto insurance is more expensive here.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I know this thread is a little old but ill post what ive found out over the last few weeks.

Ive put in $45k value, ~2000 miles/year and $500 deductibles.

Hegerty wants $1600/year
Grundy wants $660/year
American Collectors wants $990/year plus liability
Classic Collectors wants $330/year

I think thats all ive looked at. I looked at Heacock but got an email saying they wont insure anything less than 25 years old.

I went with Grundy and they denied my application since I like to drive my car to work. Pissed me off because I work in a shop where I can keep my eye on the car and I only live 4 miles from work, but I was told I could drive it to a movie theater and watch a movie and if something happened they would pay for that. Sounds like some BS to me.

Id like to go Hagerty because Ive heard good things but I cant pay that for 1 car. I saw where one guy said his ZR-1 is only $700 a year. So why is my little foxbody 3 times that?

For right now im just running on liability and hoping and praying nothing happens.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I think in this case just like with anything else, you're getting what you pay for. If I wreck my car, I don't want some scumbag insurance company making my life worse by trying to get out of paying me what they owe me. Where I drive my car is my business. What difference should it make if I was driving to a movie, work, or a car show!? I can totally understand that they would not insure it at the track or drag strip, but besides that, it's total BS to not pay up. That's why I'm paying the extra 200 bucks a year just to stick with Progressive. This way I don't have to plead to the court why I deserve to get what I'm owed. If you have to play by somebody else's rules on where and when you can drive your car then: 1. it's NOT your car. 2. It defeats the whole purpose of the car and 3. that's WHY YOU BUILT IN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

It's sort of like saying "hey guys this is my wife Angelina Jolie, I'm the luckiest guy in the world because I finally got her to marry me after 5 years of hard work, dedication, and draining my bank account. I cannot touch her more than 3 times a year, but I can look at her through this 3 inch glass all I want. It's nice to just stare at her while I dream about what it would be like to ride her like it was the last day on Earth."

Last edited by yurizx6r; 11-21-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

I have been thinking a lot about this dilemma as well lately. I am insured with AAA, and according to them, as long as I have full coverage, and have receipts for all the work (which I do), I am covered. I can't find anything in the policy which spells that out though. Coverage is very reasonable ($300 a year until I added my 16 year old son, and it jumped to $700), but I am very concerned that I would get KBB value if there was a loss. I probably have $20k in the car. Thought about just getting a LoJack, so I could recover my drivetrain, if it was ever stolen. I looked at Heacock, and they require all drivers in the house to have 10 years of driving experience, or to be excluded. Not letting my 16 YO take the car out just yet, but don't want him excluded either. Will look at other options, but for now, taking the risk that AAA will cover me.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I thought about it some more too, so I called Progressive. They said my $5,000 in custom parts coverage only applies if I am at fault. They will not pay out if it is the other person's fault. I replied "so what you're telling me is that if I get into an accident, I'm probably better off lying and saying it's my fault just so I can get what my car is STILL not even worth!? Which it does not even seem ethical or legal to do so by the way." They said that I could talk to them and show them receipts on what was on the car at the time of the accident, so basically that means nothing. I really don't think that some other insurance company is going to do much but wipe their butts with my $6,000-$7,000 worth of legitimate receipts, and that's not including with all the stuff I've bought on craigslist!!! It sucks all I want to know is that I will not go back to start if I get into an accident. With 7,000-10,000 (which is NOTHING) I could by one off craigslist that is in pretty good shape and I'd be ok with that (ish). But the KBB value on these cars is ridiculous.

Basically, I think one of best things we can do is take a ton of pictures of our cars at their best, and save EVERY receipt. It helps resale value.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 11-24-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Have you called american collector yet? That's what they do. They insure custom and modified collector cars! Doesn't need to be an antique.I had a accident with an old 79 z28 that I insured thru them and they paid out no issues. A 79 Z28 has to have similar value to a fox body.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

No, I have not called them yet. I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Only issue I had with American Collectors is I would still have to get liability under NC law. They also had bs about driving it to work.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I hear ya. I follow the rules I've agreed to with them and they work good for me but I pretty much only drive my car to the track & a car show or two. Here in Jersey my liability is covered under the American collector policy. This policy is not for someone who daily drives their older caror is using it often as a back up vehicle.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question (Important)