5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sitting over winter? Run or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Default Sitting over winter? Run or not?

Hey guys. I keep my car covered and under a carport. I have been running it once a month. Is this sufficient over the cold winter months or should I pull the battery, keep it on a trickle charger and not run the motor all winter and start it up in Spring after changing oil. What is the best way to keep this thing running strong for years to come. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 AM
RenGen
Banned

Most people just disconnect the battery. That's all I do, I think putting it on a trickle charger is a bit much. And I still have my factory battery after all these years running strong as the day I got it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:22 AM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

But the motor sitting all year won't rust, lock up? And you unhook it or bring it inside the house?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Your motor will be fine, all internal parts should have a thin layer of oil on them.

Starting a car that's in storage every month might be doing more harm than good. Your introducing moisture to the motor and exhaust with every start, and if you don't get the motor hot enough thru driving it, that moisture doesn't burn off and then you may have problems, specifically the exhaust system.

Pull the battery and leave her be. I make sure the battery has a full charge, disconnect it and just leave it in the car. Cold weather doesn't hurt a battery, heat does.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 11-21-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

If your going to start the car you need to run it long enough to bring it up to full operating tempature to remove the condensation orangepeel mentioned. Also it doesn't hurt to add a fuel stabilizer/catalyst into your tank to keep the fuel from breaking down if your going to leave it sit and not start it. Some stabilizers will even provide a protective vapor that will keep the empty portion inside of your gas tank above the fuel line from rusting. I find it's the fuel system that suffers the most from sitting long periods of time.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 11-21-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Sturm
1st Gear Member

For winter Storage, ive been doing this for 21 years....

1. Wash car
2. Change oil
3. Run Sta-bil for 10 mins. Also have the tank 85% full (helps prevent condensation in tank during Storage)
4. I have Battery Tender Schumacher sc-300a you want min 3 amp trickle charge. Ive only had to replace my battery once in 21 yrs... What Run gen said is pretty funny trickle charger is a bit much? Ive done the math its .30 cents a month to run Battery tender.
5. Put Sea Foam in 3 or 4 days in tank before you take it out of storage to remove any condensation odds are you wont Sta-bil took care of that.
6. Optional step.... Buy some GoJak's to prevent flat spots on tires. I bought 4 on craigslist for $300 yrs ago.
7. Car cover I use budge products. My Mustang is indoors so i bought the cheap one from amazon $25

To answer your question I dont start during storage your doing more harm then good when starting each month. I do the same with my winter beater 94 Ford Explorer LTD.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

I'm talking about starting it and running it weekly just around the local roads and when salt hits, I will just keep it to the driveway and running it to normal operating temperature. Either way, thank you all for the vital feedback!

When I origially put monthly, it was because I was trying to do some research and some mentioned only running it monthly. I guess it was a Freudian slip. I really am going to run it weekly unless you all object and give me good reasons why. Thanks again!

Last edited by leftyatm; 11-21-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

As mentioned above, you may be doing more harm than good. Seems like a hassle really. I put a trickle charger on throw a cover over her and let her sit. Make sure the gas tank is at least over 3/4. No need to really do anything else. Some people go to far lengths to winterize and such which is great and all. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it's just for the few months of winter, no need to do a thing, Heck mine sit in my garage for 3 months often without starting during winter and if there looks like a decent winter day and no salt on the road, I'll take it out for a brief drive.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:05 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Sitting over winter? Run or not?