5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need a little guidance on my 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:19 PM
orig5.0gt

Default need a little guidance on my 5.0

So I got an amazing stock 1 owner 5.0...i wanted to keep it as stock as possible...but obviously 225 horses jus isn't doing it for me...looking to make it about 300...I already bought; BBK intake, 75 mm throttle body, Bassani x pipe, BBK muffler....I was thinking of adding a BBK 76MM Mass Air Meter 19 lbs injectors...19 cause that's the stock injection size...with the stock engine being so basic...is it OK to add the air meter and is 75 mm body too big for a stock motor....I'm looking for a good answer not just somebody who thinks they know..i don't want to F up my idle...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I didn't see anything about headers but will assume you have them to go with the X-pipe. Your stock heads are a choke point to all that air your trying to cram in there. The 75MM throttle body is probably a little to big if your not doing heads and a cam. 65 or 70 is what companys like BBK would recommend. The 19 pound injectors are fine for a lightly modded car. Intake and exhaust is a good start. Probably wont get you to 300. But if you looking for that kick in the pants feeling you might want to install a set gears. 3.73 or 4.10 are the two most common choices. Good luck with it.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM
orig5.0gt

Ya forgot to mention bassani shortys....cam not really looking to open engine up.....i was thinking about doing the 3.73 gears...but only if it was going to give me a gain of 30hp+...if not and I'm around 270-80....with out the gears I'd be happy...also let me mention this...I decide the 75mm tb because the bbk air meter only came in a 76mm for 19 lbs injectors...would the air meter give me any gains?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Im sure you'll gain a couple crank HP. Any time you can remove a bottle neck and smooth out air flow you'll gain a little power. So the MAM will gain a little power. Not a lot. And don't expect to just ad up all the claimed power the parts manufacture claim the parts make and assume you have 300Hp. You wont gain any power from a gear change but you'll gain acceleration. Gears by them selves are probably worth a couple tenths at the drag strip. Probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do to a old 5.0
Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
orig5.0gt

Thanks man.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:02 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Dont waste your money on a 76mm BBK MAF. If you're looking to only make around 300hp, just find a 94-95 MAF and adapter. Both can be had for around $45.

a 75mm TB is WAY big for your engines flow needs. 65mm is the largest you should go on a 302. After that, you start loosing throttle resolution.

Your stock heads and intake are the largest power restrictions on your engine. I have an explorer GT40 intake sitting in my garage right now. I'f you're interested, you can swing down and pick it up. I'm not too far away from you, down in RI.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:37 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Bluebeastsrt is right on the money about everything he said. You will not break get to 300 hp unless you do heads, forced induction, or nitrous. You cannot believe everything the manufacturers claim about hp gains. My ride has a BBK CAI, C&L 73mm MAF, 70mm TB, Trick Flow intake manifold, 19lbl injectors, a Bama chip, and a full off road exhaust with long tube headers. Even though I have not dynoed it yet, I'd be willing to bet that I'm not even at 300 hp. The truth is in my set up my choking point is the heads, and until I upgrade those, I'm not going to be there. I also have a air/fuel gauge and my car is running perfect at 14.5-15.2, so I'm not running lean. You will need the 24lbl injectors when you upgrade your heads or do forced induction.

Also, you will read that most people say that a 75mm throttle body is too big for your setup until you run forced induction (you will actually lose hp), but although I will not say I've ever tested it. That's just what I've read from a few different sources. I've had very good luck with my C&L MAF (JUST GET THE RIGHT TUBE) and my 70mm throttle body. Besides that, I would say before you go upgrading your hose power, be smart and upgrade your suspension a little too so you can be safe with it. Decent tires, sub-frame connectors, and rear lower control arms go a long way. Also, while you're at it, if you're going to do gears swap the axle spines. The foxbody stock axle splines are pretty much glass, so it would be a perfect time to swap them, swap the axle seals, and fill that baby up with Redline gear oil!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I would also like to add that if 300 hp is your goal, there are other ways to increase the fun with what you have now without adding much power, just make everything more efficient. For example, an aluminum drive shaft is a good idea because you will take off a little rotating mass from the drive train (slightly faster acceleration, but not much) and you will get a much smoother ride, a good clutch, flywheel, and a short throw shifter will help you out between gears, 3.55/3.73/4.10 gears (as mentioned), good tires, any suspension mod will always help with that car (sway bars, control arms, subframe connectors, ford racing lowering springs, strut tower brace, etc), and get rid of the smog pump and spare tire. Then you can add power to it once you know what it is you really want. Most people say they want only a "little more," but like most addicts, once they get a taste of power......that's it! Next thing you know you're saying 350, 400, 500, and so on. The way I have set up my car is I have done all the supporting mods first then added power. Trust me, if you optimize even the stock power, it's a night and day difference. But I will tell you that you will love the throttle body response and hp gain you will get from a BBK cold air intake, bigger MAF, and throttle body. If you're really feeling fancy do the intake too. But just keep in mind that what ever you do, prepare to do other things because the car is old. For example, when I did my manifold I had a bolt snap by a coolant line and all of the pigtail on my fuel injectors broke off, so I replaced all the bolts with ARP hardware and took the time to replace all the fuel injector pig tails with ford EV1 connectors from here: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ev1-ford-components.

If you have any questions, we are always here to help.