5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

alternator charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 PM
zbbow1974

Default alternator charging issue

hey folks i wanted to share my experience with you on why my 1995 mustang gt would not charge, a wire burnt on my alternator and after buying a new alternator harness and installing it properly it still would not charge, i exchanged the alternator <under warentee> and it still would not charge, well i set out looking at my wires, checked fuses all seemed good, fuses where not blown but the wires where dead, tested the exciter wire at the cluster, fuse box side was good but where it came out was bad, resister and bulb where ok, turns out the "foil" looking sticker on the cluster that carries the info and voltage had a blister on it, only fix for me was to replace it, but wait i had an idea, i just ran a new wire through a bulb and connected to the exciter wire, still didnt work, so i tested the yellow wire thats always hot going to fuse box under the hood, it was good at the fuse dead 2 inches after, i just put an in line 20 amp fuse on the yellow wire and looped it back into the alternator main wire, the 8 gauge black/red wire its the largest of the wires, hit the key and there she was charging super strong, that wire had a fusable link down near the starter thats not listed on the 1995 diagrams, not sure if someone else did that or not, but the dealer said some have them some dont they used what they had on hand at that time, long story short the wiring on a cars charging circuit is by no means hard to track down, just takes patience, thanks guys for support a few of you helped me out so i thought i would post what i did here, in short: green wire from alternator-light-fuse thats hot with key on, yellow wire to a fuse then to full time hot "looped to charging stud on alternator" as for where i put the light, i got a colored one and tucked it under the dash, it will light the floor up red if it goes out again just to get attention, turns out that when the wire burnt it messed up the other wires inside the coating and unless the wire grounds the light will not come on in the dash learned that the hard way, also the light will burn full time if you connect it to a fuse thats full time hot only shuts off after alternator is excited, cost me about 20 dollars for everything i needed to fix it versus replacing the cluster, now guys if you have any corrections to this let me know i am sure i messed up explaning what i did somewhere but i am sure most of you will know what i am talking about, thanks very much for having my back my lil red witch is back
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad you got it figured out, and nice thread. Hopefully that will help the next guy with similar problems.

Thanks for the update