5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1994 air conditioner connections are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
seanboy

Default 1994 air conditioner connections are stuck

Replacing the broken heater core, but I cannot undo the a/c connection of the hose to the evaporator. With difficulty, I was able to unconnect the accumulator connections. For the uncooperative connection, I am able to get the disconnect tool flush with the connection, so I believe that the spring is released. But the connection will not come apart. I can rotate the line, I was hoping this would break whatever corrosion or attachment inside the connection. But still will not come apart. Any ideas? Thanks.
BTW, whoever engineered the placement of the heater core in this location, with the need to remove the dash, needs to be fired. Like I got nothing better to do than to pull the dash, or I got so much money that I am going to pay someone to do this job? At my work, if I did something this knuckleheaded, I would be standing on the corner with a tin cup. my 0.02.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have done 2 heater core replacements, both in F-150's... the first took an hour because it was a 1986 and there was only the glovebox on that side... pretty easy. The second was a 2001 and it took something like 12 hours and removing the entire dash and climbing all over the engine and I didn't have any special removal tools so I bought new lines when I got the new core, so that might be worth looking into. But yeah I feel your pain, and new hoses might be worth it, or just keep pulling and prodding until they come loose.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

You just have to stay at it. Try tapping the quick connect tool with a small hammer to get it to engage the fitting all the way.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I have done so many of them over the years that I just use a piece of thin rolled up plastic or aluminum can and wrap it around the tube. I found it easier that the tool that's supposed to do it.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by seanboy
Replacing the broken heater core, but I cannot undo the a/c connection of the hose to the evaporator. With difficulty, I was able to unconnect the accumulator connections. For the uncooperative connection, I am able to get the disconnect tool flush with the connection, so I believe that the spring is released. But the connection will not come apart. I can rotate the line, I was hoping this would break whatever corrosion or attachment inside the connection. But still will not come apart. Any ideas? Thanks.
BTW, whoever engineered the placement of the heater core in this location, with the need to remove the dash, needs to be fired. Like I got nothing better to do than to pull the dash, or I got so much money that I am going to pay someone to do this job? At my work, if I did something this knuckleheaded, I would be standing on the corner with a tin cup. my 0.02.
Like Bluebeastsrt mentioned, the tool may not be engaging fully...it could also be that the lock is broken meaning it won't disengage all the way because the tool isn't making contact with the plastic (locking) collar inside the connection.

Every car has it's pain in the **** components. Just be glad you can replace the HVAC door actuators without removing the center console and dash like is required on most GM vehicles. The door actuators have a higher frequency for going out than the heater core.

actuator is 25 bucks + 7-8 hours of labor which include removing the air bags....no thanks.