5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 to a 351? IDK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Noahcummings

Red face 302 to a 351? IDK?

Hey guys I don't know much about how this stroker stuff works so I'm hoping I could get some answers. I own a 94 cobra mustang v8 5.0L 302ci engine. My buddies keep telling me to get a 351w stroker kit for it but from what I seen it does not fit in the stock 302 for a stroker? how would I be able to get a 351w for my car? do I just buy the 351block and swap it out? Or am I able to stroke my 302 to a 351W? Thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you stroke a 302 in a stock block to 331 or 347......a 351w is a completely different block with different stroker options
Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

What are your intentions with this car, DD, street/strip, track only ???
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

302 and 351 blocks are totally different. The 351 is a larger block and will give you some fit issues in the engine bay. The 351 has a larger deck height than the 302. headers fitting correctly will also be an issue. All of this can be overcome but at a price if your going to pay someone to do the work. I would recommend you keep your 302 and just work it up. You can make plenty of power on your motor. I went 10.5 on a 302.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Noahcummings

Am I able to just replace the 302block with the 351w? Or do i neeed a whole new engine?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahcummings
Am I able to just replace the 302block with the 351w? Or do i neeed a whole new engine?
you are gone to need a whole new short block. Your heads will interchange other then you may have to drill the head bolt holes bigger. you will need a oil pan, you will need a lower intake and a upper to fit whatever lower you get. your distributor will need to be change also. you will need the right headers for the swap also. But the engine will bolt right in with the 302 engine mounts and will bolt to your trans. but you will need a 28oz balance flywheel due to your engine being 50oz balance if it is a stock engine. Then you will need a cowl hood or MAYBE a set of drop motor mounts to shut the hood due to the 351 being taller. How much money do you want to spend? what are you doing with the car? It is a big swap and you will need plenty of new/swap parts to make it work but it is done all the time. Again how much do you want to spend How much HP are you looking to make?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Noahcummings

Originally Posted by uedlose
you are gone to need a whole new short block. Your heads will interchange other then you may have to drill the head bolt holes bigger. you will need a oil pan, you will need a lower intake and a upper to fit whatever lower you get. your distributor will need to be change also. you will need the right headers for the swap also. But the engine will bolt right in with the 302 engine mounts and will bolt to your trans. but you will need a 28oz balance flywheel due to your engine being 50oz balance if it is a stock engine. Then you will need a cowl hood or MAYBE a set of drop motor mounts to shut the hood due to the 351 being taller. How much money do you want to spend? what are you doing with the car? It is a big swap and you will need plenty of new/swap parts to make it work but it is done all the time. Again how much do you want to spend How much HP are you looking to make?
Around 600-700 I'm just wondering if i could buy the 351block and slap it on and put all the other parts in cylinders and oil etc. i'm at a 3500$ budget
Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I hate to sound like a dick but if you have to ask this many questions the answer is NO! It sounds like you don't have the mechanical abilities to do such a swap. Don't feel bad most don't have the ability. But labor will eat up your $3500 budget so fast it'll make your head spin. Not to mention buying all the parts you'll need to make the swap work correctly. Your buddies that are telling you it's a simple swap don't know any more about the swap than you do. Trust me on this. It's not their car so it's easy to come up with hairbrained ideas when it's someone elses money.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

I agree with what blue ***** said above, and $3500 will get you a decent turbo set up for your stock block for now. You can fix what breaks later, if at all if you respect the weak links in said setup.

We're not bashing you in any way, so please don't take this personal. But you should start by researching other mods in your experience level. We all started there at one time.

And just to clear things up, you didn't answer what this car would be used for. We can help you with the best bang for the buck mods for your application.

Edit: Sorry for the dig blue, couldn't pass that one up. lol

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 01-12-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahcummings
Around 600-700 I'm just wondering if i could buy the 351block and slap it on and put all the other parts in cylinders and oil etc. i'm at a 3500$ budget
The 3500 budget is not gone to get it done. Good heads that are capable of making that kind of HP. is gone to eat half that then a intake for the same thing then a valve train and swap headers. lets not forget the machine shop bill for all this. plus pistons. You see where this is gone? You need to do some more research on all of this. You are starting with asking questions but do some more.
How old are you? looking at other post, you son are all over the place with what you want twin turbos your trans needs work and you want to up grade it. for 500 or 600 HP. then a stroker engine and the HP has went up to 700. Make a plane and set a goal and go from there. Trust me on this or you are gone to end up with a car all ripped apart that dont run and a bunch of money spent in the wrong place.

Last edited by uedlose; 01-12-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 302 to a 351? IDK?