5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stupid fuel pressure regulator question

Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Default Stupid fuel pressure regulator question

Hey probably a dumb question but, I just bought a BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I just finished putting it on, and when I was adjusting the fuel pressure to 39psi (with the vacuum line off) I noticed that fuel started coming out of the line where you plug the vacuum line in.... is that normal?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Pretty typical for BBK crap. Put your stock regulator back on, as there is no reason for you to have an adjustable.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

To my knowledge there should not be any fuel coming out, but who knows sometimes that's why I wanted to double check.

You're right, I do not need one at this point, but it's always good to have one as a tuning tool. It's also not a bad idea to have a new one either, so I know my fuel system is ready to go when I either swap the motor or do the heads.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I think what he meant was an adjustable regulator is not needed at all. Whatever adjustments you make to fuel pressure, the ECM will self correct by adding or subtracting fuel with the injector pulse. If you bump the pressure up, the computer will pull fuel out.

Kinda sounds like I know what I'm talking about lol.

Of course, someone correct me if any of what I said was wrong.

Also, this wasn't a dumb question and there shouldn't be any gas coming out that vacuum port. Is it to late to get your money back?

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 02-24-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch;8466851ECM
will self correct by adding or subtracting fuel with the injector pulse. If you bump the pressure up, the computer will pull fuel out.
exactly why they are a waste.......in closed loop strategy........only time it'd help to have more fuel pressure would be at WOT in open loop when ecm is not constantly trimming fuel.......but then again discussion on that can get deep..lol
Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Dammit. I figured that was the case, but unfortunately it's not likely. I got it off craigslist for 60 bucks, and I doubt I'll get my money back. I'll try, but worst case BBK said they would give me a new one for half price worst case. BBK is a pretty straight up company. That's exactly why I always lean toward buying new things.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Whether it's a waste or not I don't really care. After 21+ years of service, I think it's time to retire the old regulator and for the extra 20 bucks I can put something in there that can help the tuner, so IDK. I just want my fuel system ready to go for the motor swap or heads either way. That way I can get it done, and have it dyno tuned.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Somebody get me a brown paper bag............I just bought heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, 30lbl injectors w/MAF, roller rockers, Trick Flow push rods, and ARP head studs for 1,200!!!!

I have been preparing for this day for 3 years since I first got this car!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Somebody get me a brown paper bag............I just bought heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, 30lbl injectors w/MAF, roller rockers, Trick Flow push rods, and ARP head studs for 1,200!!!!

I have been preparing for this day for 3 years since I first got this car!
That should make things interesting.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Well, good bye gas mileage! I was getting a consistent 20 mpg. But this is a great opportunity to finish painting the engine bay, put in that 180 degree thermostat, bang the headers once again to get the damn power steering shaft from rubbing, and really clean things up. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but at least everything up to the heads are new and ARP, so that will make it a lot easier.

It's funny, my DSM buddy just came up to me today and asked if I wanted to go to the drag strip at the end or March. I said no, but now I'm going to be racing to finish this project in time to do it. I wonder what I will run... that should be interesting. My ultimate goal is 12's, but I doubt it. Maybe mid to low 13's?

Last edited by yurizx6r; 02-24-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid fuel pressure regulator question