5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel pump won't stop priming

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM
mustfan

Default fuel pump won't stop priming

Hey peeps I'm having a little trouble here with my stock fox body, my fuel pump would prime for couple seconds and stop, now it cranks and no start also won't stop priming, I checked the psi and it marked 36, from what I heard 35-45 is good but also that it should be at 39 anyone with suggestions how to find the problem or if it is the fuel pump? Thanks a lot guys for all the help here
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

36 psi is fine, as long as it holds. When you crank it, what does the fuel pressure read? When you stop cranking, does the pump keep going? If so, does it hold PSI? On newer vehicles, the computer will make start & stop the pump after a little while. I don’t remember if your vintage ride does the same. Could be a short or bad fuel pump relay causing the fuel pump to stay on. However, the fact that it still doesn’t start indicates there is another problem lurking. Good luck...
Old 04-24-2015, 06:00 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

For most builds 39-40 psi is what you want. The stock regulator should give you 39 psi, but 3 psi will not cause your car not to start. To me it sounds like the fuel pump is bad. Latemodelrestoration.com has a bunch of videos on how to drop the fuel tank and swap the pump worst case. It's not bad at all, just drain the tank before you drop it. If you are going to drop the tank though, be sure to redo any seal you are going to touch, and just get it over with and get the 255 LPH pump. You cannot go too big on your pump because whatever you don't use just goes right back into the gas tank. That way if you add any power too it, you will not waste more time and money upgrading your pump.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

First thing you need to do is figure out why it wont start. Whats it missing.

Fuel/spark/air/compression and it should start. One of those is missing.

Im guessing your missing spark since you said fuel pressure is 36. Could very well have a bad PIP in the distributor or a bad TFI. Im betting PIP since that is what signals the fuel pump to resume after initial prime.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 PM
mustfan

Originally Posted by dawson1112
First thing you need to do is figure out why it wont start. Whats it missing.

Fuel/spark/air/compression and it should start. One of those is missing.

Im guessing your missing spark since you said fuel pressure is 36. Could very well have a bad PIP in the distributor or a bad TFI. Im betting PIP since that is what signals the fuel pump to resume after initial prime.
A friend of mine came and checked it and said fuel pump is still good, also yea you're right I don't get no spark from my ignition coil, and my tfi I changed it not to long ago ill just buy a performance distributor, any recommendations which to buy
Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

A failed or unplugged PCM will cause the fuel pump to run continuously.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM
lvgeorge

Default No Start, Hard Start when Hot, Replacing TFI - Spark Control Module

I have a 1989 2.3L, 4cyl and was having Hard starting in the morning, then when the car got up to normal operating temps and I had to shut the car off, The car would not start when the car was warm/ or engine hot. Same problem every day! Then, the car would not start at all! No spark at plugs, coil etc. My Ignition Key tumbler device fell apart on me a month before the no start, so I replace it, no issues. On the No Start, I replaced the Coil, starter solenoid (just for kicks), still no spark.

Then, I read on the Internet and in Forums like this one, that the problem, might be the TFI or Ignition Control/Spark control Module, so I bought a New one. There are Two Screws, holding the TFI on and you can not readily see the heads to determine what tool to use. The Videos show a OEM Part that you can buy (it is a Star Head, thumb drive/rachet drive removal tool, however, it is not the right tool for my vehicle. Problem is, you cant see the screw head as it is indented in the screw hole.

So I got a mirror so to see what the screw head looked like, and it appears to be a small bolt-head screw that a socket should be able to unscrew, and thru the process of elimination, it may be a 5mm -6mm socket. Most sockets wont fit into the hold, so after all of that, I still have to find the right tool, to get it out.

There are 2 screws holding on the TFI module. Anyone know is there is an OEM tool for this or the exact size of this screw-bolt head? I will let you all know, if and when, I find the answer, unless someone on this Forum, beats me to it.

Thanks, Geo from Las Vegas!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM
mustfan

Default still not fixed another prob found

hey guys sorry I haven't replied just been busy but anyways yea still with the problem i checked for spark and no spark going to distributor from coil pack 2 weeks ago I changed both and still nothing. fuel pump still keeps priming and won't stop by the way. I'm starting to think it might be the ecm. any more suggestions really appreciate the help