5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 PM
chillboy96

Default heat issues

i have a 1994 mustang gt with 2 problems right now the first: when you start it up it idles,runs,sounds and drives perfect but after 2 or 3 minutes of driving when it warms up it starts to drive like crap the idle hangs when shifting, doesn't shift as nice and sound as good as before?

problem 2 is my engine runs really hot it doesnt overheat but run hotter than a normal stang keep in mind i do have medium mods and also smells like coolant inside the car when driving with the heat and vents off and closed so i dont think its a heater core. and no leaks of fluid under car and rad and overflow are all at proper levels please help me
Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Verify your coolant fan is coming on , the 94-95 mustangs have a 195 thermostat from the factory so they tend to run between 195-210 normally any ways. Mods, advanced timing and such can cause them to run a little hotter. I suggest you drop to a 180-185 thermostat. Don't go lower than 180 though as the car wont get up to temp for the ecu to go into closed loop. Get the car up to operating temp then run the Koeo/koer to check for codes.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

You problem sounds like it starts to run like crap when it changes from open to closed loop mode, which typically isn’t an issue with the cooling system. Closed loop is when the ECU starts to listen to the various sensors on the motor to determine what is going on with the motor so it starts to adjust fuel trims, timing etc etc. A common fault is a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. Get some MAF sensor cleaner from your local auto parts store and clean it and see if it starts to run better. If that doesn’t work, I’d hook up a scanner that can read live data and see what the sensors are saying about the motor. Pay attention to the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, temp sensor, short & long term fuel trims, and open/closed loop status.

As for the heat issue, check the radiator cap for damage/corrosion. If it hasn’t been replaced in a few years then it might be time. If it isn’t sealing correctly or opening/closing correctly it can cause high heat issues. Also check the radiator for blockage or damaged fins. Leaves, bugs, plastic bags etc often get stuck on the radiator, or rocks and other debris damaging the fins and won’t let air flow through it. If you haven’t done a coolant flush in a few years then it is past due for one. You should replace the coolant every 2-3 years. Its one of the few liquids in the motor that should be replaced after a set amount of time not milage. It also wouldn’t hurt to rent a pressure tester from your local auto parts store and pressure testing the cooling system to make sure it isn’t leaking. If you are smelling coolant in the cab then you are leaking coolant somewhere, which means the cooling system can’t get up to proper pressure which lowers the boiling point compared to a pressurized system.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 05-03-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 AM
chillboy96

Originally Posted by petrock
You problem sounds like it starts to run like crap when it changes from open to closed loop mode, which typically isn’t an issue with the cooling system. Closed loop is when the ECU starts to listen to the various sensors on the motor to determine what is going on with the motor so it starts to adjust fuel trims, timing etc etc. A common fault is a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor. Get some MAF sensor cleaner from your local auto parts store and clean it and see if it starts to run better. If that doesn’t work, I’d hook up a scanner that can read live data and see what the sensors are saying about the motor. Pay attention to the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, temp sensor, short & long term fuel trims, and open/closed loop status.

As for the heat issue, check the radiator cap for damage/corrosion. If it hasn’t been replaced in a few years then it might be time. If it isn’t sealing correctly or opening/closing correctly it can cause high heat issues. Also check the radiator for blockage or damaged fins. Leaves, bugs, plastic bags etc often get stuck on the radiator, or rocks and other debris damaging the fins and won’t let air flow through it. If you haven’t done a coolant flush in a few years then it is past due for one. You should replace the coolant every 2-3 years. Its one of the few liquids in the motor that should be replaced after a set amount of time not milage. It also wouldn’t hurt to rent a pressure tester from your local auto parts store and pressure testing the cooling system to make sure it isn’t leaking. If you are smelling coolant in the cab then you are leaking coolant somewhere, which means the cooling system can’t get up to proper pressure which lowers the boiling point compared to a pressurized system.

Good luck...
thanks for the great info. it's not the maf it is not dirty but I had a feeling it was the open/closed loop problem I will get someone to scan and see what comes up.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
chillboy96

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Verify your coolant fan is coming on , the 94-95 mustangs have a 195 thermostat from the factory so they tend to run between 195-210 normally any ways. Mods, advanced timing and such can cause them to run a little hotter. I suggest you drop to a 180-185 thermostat. Don't go lower than 180 though as the car wont get up to temp for the ecu to go into closed loop. Get the car up to operating temp then run the Koeo/koer to check for codes.
I will change the thermostat to a 185 as for a koeo test I tried to perform one before but couldn't get it to read anything. I used the paper clip method. I guess I will have to pay big bucks and get a garage to throw a scanner on it. thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM
chillboy96

Originally Posted by petrock

Good luck...
You seem to know your mustangs it is almost impossible to find a mustang guy in my city so If you don't mind could I ask you one more question? this guy I know told me the open/closed loop problem I'm having could be because of my tps. now everyone says you need to set it to.098 but from my understanding the tps for my 95 stang comes preset it is spring loaded you just plug and go is this correct? also I just replaced my tps but the part store had 2 different ones that fit my year so maybe the one I got is the wrong one any suggestions ? thanks again
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM
chillboy96

so i did a koer test and the codes i got were
327-dpfe or evp circuit below minimum voltage of 0.2 volts( no clue what that means?)

412-cannot control rpm during koer high rpm check

116- ect out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts

and my cylinder balance teast was 90 which is all good.
please help me understand codes thanks.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry I can't help you on the SN codes, but Google can.

My question is you stated the MAF is clean, but did you just look at the sensor elements and see there was nothing that looked dirty ?

Those wire elements need to be really really spotless to give accurate readings. A thin layer of oil from an aftermarket air filter will screw them up and mess with your idle. They make special spray cleaners for these MAF sensors and I'd suggest that first. If you did this already, congrats.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

.98 is a myth...........7 to 1.0 vdc is a safe acceptable range