5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

90 LX 5.0 EEC test question

Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 PM
SWGSSSlacker
1st Gear Member

Well, after researching how to test a ICM and PiP sensor I have discovered that new parts don't mean squat. I verified the PiP sensor was doing what is was supposed to with the use of a multimeter (DVM/DVOM), the top wire in the distributor connector and the negative battery terminal. I ran resistance test across my ICM and found some crazy numbers on the FOMOCO one and the one that came with the new distributor. So, long story short, the 3rd ICM was the ticket! A brand new one out of the box from O'reilly Auto Parts had quite different resistance numbers. I installed the new ICM on the distributor with some thermal paste (computer stuff) smeared on the surfaces, reset the base timing to 10 degrees before tDc and boom it stayed running.

I will update in the coming days...... I hope days and not minutes or hours.

Knocking on wood.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:58 PM
SWGSSSlacker
1st Gear Member

By the way....

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by SWGSSSlacker
Well, after researching how to test a ICM and PiP sensor I have discovered that new parts don't mean squat. I verified the PiP sensor was doing what is was supposed to with the use of a multimeter (DVM/DVOM), the top wire in the distributor connector and the negative battery terminal. I ran resistance test across my ICM and found some crazy numbers on the FOMOCO one and the one that came with the new distributor. So, long story short, the 3rd ICM was the ticket! A brand new one out of the box from O'reilly Auto Parts had quite different resistance numbers. I installed the new ICM on the distributor with some thermal paste (computer stuff) smeared on the surfaces, reset the base timing to 10 degrees before tDc and boom it stayed running.

I will update in the coming days...... I hope days and not minutes or hours.

Knocking on wood.
I don't ever use any junk parts stores TFI'S, I only ever use the ford oem motorcraft ones
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 PM
SWGSSSlacker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I don't ever use any junk parts stores TFI'S, I only ever use the ford oem motorcraft ones
I am not a fan of the Autozone, O'Reilly, etc autoparts stores either but in a pickle I will go to them. I do 98% of my parts shopping at Standard Auto Parts, no not the Standard if the computer doesn't show it we can't get it but the Standard Auto Parts that sales genuine FOMOCO, AC Delco and other OEM parts.

It was the weekend and I didn't feel like waiting. Standard couldn't get me the part until monday so I improvised and bought an ICM from O'Reilly. It worked for me long enough until I could get the FOMOCO one from Standard, it is now a spare as I installed a FOMOCO ICM in it's place.

The car no longer shuts off out of the blue but it has a very annoying stumble at constant 1750/1800 rpms in any gear, I can deal with it in 1st-4th gear but in 5th gear I can't stand it. I started another post titled "annoying stumble". I will now focus on the car there.

Thanks