5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Different Tuning Chips

Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by seanbo98
Sorry 64bit I have pretty much decided it will either be the moates quarterhorse or the AM sct chip for me. Thank you though
Should be apologizing to yourself... especially since I sell SCT and Moates chips, provide base tunes, and help tune the car with the customer.

But hey, do whatever you want. I can tell you right now that buying a chip from American Muscle will be a gigantic waste of money.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
+1 ^^^

Don't waste your money, as stated above find an experienced mechanic, or become your own with this forum, Google, and YouTube.

Pull codes first, step by step directions are a quick Google search away, and are simple and free. Then let us know what comes up.
Hell yea if the car is running. Take it to an autoparts store and they'll read the codes for free. Then bring em here for a little free advice.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Hell yea if the car is running. Take it to an autoparts store and they'll read the codes for free. Then bring em here for a little free advice.
I haven't seen an autoparts store guy around near us that has a clue on how to pull codes on obd 1/run a koeo/koer test on a ford......most come out with a obd 2 scanner and ask where the obd 2 plug is ...lol.....I just chuckle as I walk on by as the parts guy searches like mad for the obd 2 plug.......
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I haven't seen an autoparts store guy around near us that has a clue on how to pull codes on obd 1/run a koeo/koer test on a ford......most come out with a obd 2 scanner and ask where the obd 2 plug is ...lol.....I just chuckle as I walk on by as the parts guy searches like mad for the obd 2 plug.......
LOL that's sad. There is one advanced auto parts store in town with an old guy. Only place I go to for that kind of stuff. He's got em\\the codes right on my 91 pick-up all the way up to my daughters 2010 Mustang. Maybe I'm getting lucky but it's probably because the guys in his 50s and probably owns the place. Most of the younger guys at other places just read down the computer when you need a part. That's the extent of their skills. So I feel like I got lucky with the old timer.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 05-28-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 AM
seanbo98

Ok thats what I was thinking to. Any ideas about what I could possibly check? The only other symptom is when it is hot out and I have been driving 30 plus minutes the car struggles to start again unless its given a lot of time to cool down. It does always start but its sounds like the engine is cranking incredibly slowly and almost stuck but it will finally catch after 5-10 seconds. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

starter heat soak....replace it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:44 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

...when it is hot out and I have been driving 30 plus minutes the car struggles to start again unless its given a lot of time to cool down. It does always start but its sounds like the engine is cranking incredibly slowly and almost stuck but it will finally catch after 5-10 seconds.

Any ideas about what I could possibly check?
sure . . a few causes could be the following . . if its a fuel injection engine, it could be that the ignition timing is too far advanced . . if its a carbureted engine, it could be caused by too much advance or a float level that is too high . . either way, you could try removing the coil wire next time it happens and if it turns over easier, i would check the timing or simply retard it 3 degrees and test it again . . if this fixes the problem, it is not starter "heat soak" and you saved yourself from spending money on something you didn't need.

if it is starter "heat soak", a new starter will do the same thing unless it is stronger than the old one because "heat soak" is exactly what it sounds like, the starter gets too hot which reduces its ability to turn the engine over at the same speed it did when it was cold . . this was a fairly common problem on the old corvettes, especially the big block ones.

one cure for "heat soak" is to simply buy a thermal shield or thermal wrap for the starter . . this being said, if your exhaust manifolds/headers are stock, and you aren't running a stroker engine, i doubt it is caused by "heat soak", although if a starter is weak, it will in fact be affected by heat more than one that is in proper working order.

Last edited by barnett468; 05-28-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM
seanbo98

Ok great I looked into this and it is exactly my problem. Thanks so much I'll try the coil first but Im guessing it could be heat soak as my headers are not stock.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Thanks so much I'll try the coil first but Im guessing it could be heat soak as my headers are not stock.
no problem, happy to help . . it certainly is logical to try whatever testing can be done before just guessing what a problem might be and simply start changing parts, especially when its a bit of a pita and a pretty sizeable chunk of money to buy and replace the starter.

heres a few different types of wrap and they are all too pricey imo, but it is what it is.

if you do replace your starter and have the same problem i would just install a thermal cover to see if that fixes it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...+wrap&tbm=shop