5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1989 starting problems, engine won't turn over.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 AM
KEM Motorworks

I can turn the engine with the plugs in with my breaker bar and socket on the damper no problem. Thought I'd through that in there.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

sounds like the ground wire for the battery has resistance in it. Happened to my dads 70 fastback, had 7kohms between the ends on the ground cable. new cable and it starts easy every time
Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

If you can turn it over by hand fine and the start is getting 12 V and you said you replaced it 3 times, could the flexplate teeth be sheared off?? I imagine if only a segment of teeth around the flexplate are still there then it would only turn the engine over when it meshes with those teeth making it look like its struggling to turn over, remove the inspection plate and turn the engine over by hand while looking at the teeth.

If the starter turn its over fine with plugs out you have a compression issue, take off the heads and inspect them/the bore, could be your valves are not opening properly.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 AM
KEM Motorworks

A mechanic from the local dealership just left baffled. He had no idea. It has a New flexplate. It will engage and turn but it struggles so hard to do that. We are so lost at this point & I'm on the fence of throwing the towel in on this engine and starting over with the big block I have sitting there. Car was supposed to be done for the gumball rally in a week and half and I don't see that happening. Thank you so much guys for trying to help. I appreciate it more than you'd know.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Had an off the wall thought on this. I had to look thru your other post, you said you replaced the flex plate in a different thread, that answered my first question of if it was an automatic. Had a friend one time pull his engine and when he put it back in had a difficult time trying to get it to turn over. He had forced the torque converter in to the transmission so it was not seated and it was warping the flexplate. that was his problem. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default 1989 starting problems, engine won't turn over.

Originally Posted by raven_ghostwolf
Had an off the wall thought on this. I had to look thru your other post, you said you replaced the flex plate in a different thread, that answered my first question of if it was an automatic. Had a friend one time pull his engine and when he put it back in had a difficult time trying to get it to turn over. He had forced the torque converter in to the transmission so it was not seated and it was warping the flexplate. that was his problem. Just a thought.
I did this, usually the engine wouldn't turn at all and the front pump on the tranny would break. He said he can turn it by hand though, so I don't think it could be that.

I'd still say electrical issue or its a fluke and you got 3 bad starters, most auto parts stores can test them for you, I'd do that just out of curiosity.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:40 PM
KEM Motorworks

Well, we changed out all the grounds and thought that fixed the problem. It was starting fine and I even drove it around for a few miles. Came back threw a timing light on it adjused it from 20 to 14. Turn the car off, bam doing the same thing struggling like it's a dead batt. Messed with the timing it fired back up after a struggle and it fired up I moved it to the garage and there it sits unable to start itself again. I even ran a few extra new ground lines for good measure. Even running a 2 gauge wire from the batt right to the starter it still struggles.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
KEM Motorworks

Well, we changed out the battery ground again and that seemed to fix it. Fingers crossed. Never have we ever had so many problems with grounds and electrical as we have with this car.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Wow. You are cleaning all the connections as you change them out, right?

Man, I hate intermittent gremlins...
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 PM
KEM Motorworks

I'm 99.9% positive the problem is the ends on the premade cables I bought from my local autozone. Thought it'd save me some time and they were kinda cheap. (Key word cheap) Their silver and I have a feeling made out of junk. I bought new copper fittings and made my own 2 gauge cables and night and day. Plenty of power everywhere now. I can't believe it was or is I hope something that simple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 starting problems, engine won't turn over.