MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Starting Issue (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/722060-starting-issue.html)

svfetter 09-25-2015 07:48 AM

Starting Issue

Orignal owner of 95 5.0. Approx 80K miles. Engine has always started very quickly. Now after 2 decades all of a sudden it freely cranks for several seconds before starting. Acts like its not getting enough fuel. Fuel pressure recently checked as OK. Just put on a fuel filter. Very intermittent.
Runs Great. Does not seem to be temperature related. Thought about air idle control valve, but they usually allow engine to start and then will die at idle from carbon build up.

Any Ideas ??

88 orangepeel notch 09-25-2015 08:02 AM

When was the last time she got a good / complete tune up ?

Urambo Tauro 09-25-2015 08:20 AM

Start with the battery by getting it load tested. It can sound like it's putting out plenty of cranking power, but still need a boost to start the car.

A tune-up may be in order, though...

mjr46 09-25-2015 03:42 PM

if you mean it cranks longer than normal.........you need to check for fuel pressure leak down, not just adequate pressure but leakdown................koeo, should maintain pressure.......................pulse the key 3-4 times before cranking and see if symptoms go away....if they do, it's related to leakdown

svfetter 09-28-2015 06:12 PM

Thanks guys. It's actually a new engine with new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Been starting great for 1000 miles before this started. Just put on new fuel filter and I am thinking leak down as well. How would I trouble shoot that?

Any other opinions welcome.

Thanks!

mjr46 09-28-2015 10:39 PM

with a fuel pressure gauge test it

64bit 09-29-2015 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mjr46 (Post 8509645)
if you mean it cranks longer than normal.........you need to check for fuel pressure leak down, not just adequate pressure but leakdown................koeo, should maintain pressure.......................pulse the key 3-4 times before cranking and see if symptoms go away....if they do, it's related to leakdown

I 100% agree with this. If your fuel system has a leakdown issue (usually related to a bad "S" hose in the tank, or a failing check valve in the pump) it will suffer from a long crank and possibly a lazy start when finally running.

As MJR has described, turn the key on and off a few times before cranking. If it starts better, start looking for a fuel pump kit.

svfetter 09-30-2015 07:58 AM

Thanks again guys. In researching this I have found the same info everyone is telling me while learning about this condition. I have found if we turn the key to the run position and count to ten before cranking, she starts much better. In addition, I pulled off the vacuum hose on the pressure regulator and gasoline came out of the hose, so I certainly have a bad pressure regulator. As soon as I can get a new one I will provide an update.

svfetter 10-05-2015 08:10 AM

Installed a new Fuel Pressure Regulator and everything is back to normal. Thanks guys !!

mjr46 10-05-2015 11:39 AM

simple fuel pressure test would of lead to leakdown, then to checking such stuff.......you should invest in proper diag tools such as a fuel pressure gauge......can narrow down such issues quicker and eliminate guessing.........either way glad you found the issue.