5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New member, New build, all opinions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM
91whiteGT

Default New member, New build, all opinions welcome!

Decided its time to stop doing redneck builds on my car! I have the money, will have the time come winter, and want my car right. I have owned it for 8 almost 9 years. Blown up 2 motors. on my second tranny. and on my second rearend. And now i have a rear main leak. so this winter the motor is getting pulled. and im sparing no expense! This may be a long post but i appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it!

Have 2 blocks, both in good shape, one is a 302, one is a bored 306.-would like to go with 306 unless there is a reason not to.
have a set of unknown aluminum heads. no markings on them.I was going to drop them off at a local machine/engine builder shop and see what they said about them before spending 1500 on a set of twisted wedge heads.
Going with 1.7 roller rockers.
F cam
Unknown upper/lower intake-need some advice
30lb injectors
75mm throttle body
HVAC/EGR/smog all deleted.
76mm MAF
BBK cold air intake that goes in the fender
Have a BBK offroad xpipe
Unsure of which headers to go with
Underdrive pulleys.
MSD 6al ignition.
MSD distributor
MSD plug wires
Unsure of which spark plugs to go with
Unsure of which coil to go with- Blaster 2?
Moroso oil pan
Meling M68HV oil pump
aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
bbk 255 fuel pump

I think thats everything. If im missing something/ or if something sounds stupid please let me know. Going to begin ordering parts in a few weeks.

Am i crazy to think i can get over 400hp with this set up?

Thanks for all the help
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ditch the f-cam, ditch the 1.7's......never had a need for 1.7's with the proper cam...........and if there are no markings on the heads or intake.....most likely they are cheap china pro-crap stuff with junk valvetrain.....if you build the combo you hacve put together may make 275 ish rear wheel, no where near 400 and ditch the melling hv pump, standard volume is all you need.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Besides hp, what is the purpose of the build?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

First, welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

Second, you have a couple questionable/out of date mods listed. I don't know your knowledge level or skill level with a wrench, and by no means mean any disrespect. But I'd start over and use the "search" feature and start researching any/all mods you'd like. Believe me, its all been covered before, what works and what was a waste of money. A knowledgeable choice of mods is one of the most important things to do. Everything has to work together to get the most out of a setup.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:49 PM
91whiteGT

Thankyou everyone! gonna try to clear a few things up.
Purpose of build is to finally make the car right. Bought the car senior year of highschool(now that i look back it was probably a mistake lol). Basically beat the living crap out of it. Live in a small town, and the local 5.0 knew me really well. so about 3 1/2 years ago i parked the car. Havent moved since
Im sure im very outdated on some stuff- have done some reading, but its hard to put the right head/intake/injector/throttle body combination together for me. I seem to read different stuff on every other post.
Im not perfect in the wrenching world-but im definitley not afraid. Very big into the diesel world-my father owns his own business and has 9 powerstrokes. And im the in house mechanic. Ive done everything including a cab off motor swap on a 6.0.
Im looking to finally make the car right. I DO NOT want to cut any corners. And ofcourse i want to make some horsepower. I want to be able to take it out for icecream. But i dont want to be afraid to line up at a stop light with a ricer and not have to worry. I was hoping to make 400hp. Was just trying to set some goals for my self!
I do not have a stock cam sadly, i currently have an e303. which is apparently outdated. and the car needs an oil pump and a rear main. last time i drove it i spun 7k rpm. blew a reair main. and had little to no oil pressure.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:04 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Do your research on camshaft then. The more hp you want, the bigger the camshaft, but you sacrifice drive-ability in most cases. Personally, I would recommend a short gear such as a 3.73, suspension upgrades, and a moderate cam. I have a 331 stroker motor, with a Comp Cams stage 4 camshaft, AFR 185cc heads, blah, blah, blah. In theory, I should be making in the ball park of 400 hp to the crank, BUT it has not been dynoed, so I'm not truly saying anything. It's a good setup, but I wouldn't want to daily drive it. This is just my humble opinion though. I'd make a modest engine set up, and then make up for the lose of ponys with gears and suspension. If it's a track car... screw it. Put the biggest heads/cam/intake you can find!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Jeez, how long did you have your foot on the gas to get an E cam to 7k lol.

400 hp at the crank is easily doable, (with a well funded bank account), but as you probably already know, with that kind of power, it's going to break the next weakest link in the chain, T5 tranny, stock axles with sticky tires, weak frame etc. If your going to do it right, those areas will need attention too. It becomes a slippery slope lol.

Good luck in your research, should be a fun build.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:20 PM
91whiteGT

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Jeez, how long did you have your foot on the gas to get an E cam to 7k lol.

400 hp at the crank is easily doable, (with a well funded bank account), but as you probably already know, with that kind of power, it's going to break the next weakest link in the chain, T5 tranny, stock axles with sticky tires, weak frame etc. If your going to do it right, those areas will need attention too. It becomes a slippery slope lol.

Good luck in your research, should be a fun build.
Young and dumb is how lol. Was in the process of learning how to speed shift, Catching 3rd was a bitch without letting off the go peddle.
I have a 4" aluminum driveshaft, 4.10s with a locker, and c clip eminated axels. Im sure tranny will be coming down the line soon!

I have done quite a bit of research, over the last few nights, and man things have changed in the last 6 or 7 years. Now looking into a stage 2 trickflow cam. Anyone have opinions on them? probably going to try and pair it with 1.6 rockers, twisted wedge 170cc heads, and a 75mm throttle body.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
91whiteGT

also if it matters i am running a gear driven cam- not a chain driven
Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

For the stuff you're unsure about, can you post pics of the parts? We can help you identify them better that way. I'd personally advise that before you do anything to the car to find out exactly what you're working with.

If you're looking for 400 hp that's also street worthy (400hp on an OHV 5.0 vs the new OHC 5.0 is a completely different story) here's what I'd do:

Get a dart block with forged internals (the factory 5.0 does not fair well in the 400ish range as they've been known to split)
Balanced mild head/cam/intake/tb setup (I like Trickflow, series is up to you)
Vortech or Paxton (9-15 psi range) SC kit inter-cooled would be the best option
T56 Transmission or TKO 500 (the stock T5 doesn't take 400 hp too well, just trust me)
Billit steel flywheel (aluminum, while nice, could warp)
Aluminum driveshaft (reduces rotating mass and gets the power to the wheels faster)
Auburn of FR500 LSD
Long tube headers
OR H/X pipe (your choice)
Borla or Magnaflow Catbacks (these are some of the highest flowing exhaust out there)
* Use your current MSD ignition system

Quick Reply: New member, New build, all opinions welcome!