MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Fan won't turn on (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/722877-fan-wont-turn-on.html)

Jly154 11-14-2015 05:54 PM

Fan won't turn on

Hey guys so I'm having problems with my 94 gt overheating and found that the electric radiator fan isn't working but when I hooked up my scanner to test the fan will run through the tests just fine low speed and high speed I've cleaned the connections I've traced wires to make sure there is no bare wires I'm at a loss I can't seem to figure it out I thought maybe fan clutch? But why would it work when testing but not when the car is running? I'm at a total loss any help would be great thanks guys

Jly154 11-14-2015 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jly154 (Post 8517460)
Hey guys so I'm having problems with my 94 gt overheating and found that the electric radiator fan isn't working but when I hooked up my scanner to test the fan will run through the tests just fine low speed and high speed I've cleaned the connections I've traced wires to make sure there is no bare wires I'm at a loss I can't seem to figure it out I thought maybe fan clutch? But why would it work when testing but not when the car is running? I'm at a total loss any help would be great thanks guys

And now I have no hot air when I turn my heater on

uedlose 11-15-2015 08:13 AM

sounds like the coolant level is low if you have no heat also. and that can make the fan not come on also. Electric fans dont have a fan clutch either. just a heads up.

64bit 11-15-2015 08:45 AM

yep... i would be checking coolant level as well. An air pocket in the cooling system will cause overheating and incorrect readings by the ECT sensor.

Jly154 11-15-2015 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by uedlose (Post 8517504)
sounds like the coolant level is low if you have no heat also. and that can make the fan not come on also. Electric fans dont have a fan clutch either. just a heads up.

Ok well that makes sense then because I just filled all my fluids including antifreeze so maybe I got an air pocket somewhere what do you recommend doing to fix it?

Jly154 11-15-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 64bit (Post 8517509)
yep... i would be checking coolant level as well. An air pocket in the cooling system will cause overheating and incorrect readings by the ECT sensor.

Could over filling it cause this?

64bit 11-15-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jly154 (Post 8517536)
Could over filling it cause this?

Before I respond... I want you to think about that for a second.

If you overfill your cooling system, it spills on the floor. Full is full, not full means you have air in the system. over full means you spilled.

Jly154 11-15-2015 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 64bit (Post 8517539)
Before I respond... I want you to think about that for a second.

If you overfill your cooling system, it spills on the floor. Full is full, not full means you have air in the system. over full means you spilled.

I mean I get that but I didn't know if maybe there was like a pocket that could have trapped air or somethin

88 orangepeel notch 11-16-2015 07:30 AM

Top off your coolant, leaving the radiator cap off, start car and let it idle till the thermostat opens. You might see the level drop then. Give the motor a couple quick revs. Top off coolant, put radiator cap back on and drive the car normally for 15 min. Keeping an eye on temps. Check level again when you get back home, top off again. Done.....

Keep and eye on temps and level for the first couple trips.

Jly154 11-16-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch (Post 8517607)
Top off your coolant, leaving the radiator cap off, start car and let it idle till the thermostat opens. You might see the level drop then. Give the motor a couple quick revs. Top off coolant, put radiator cap back on and drive the car normally for 15 min. Keeping an eye on temps. Check level again when you get back home, top off again. Done.....

Keep and eye on temps and level for the first couple trips.

Ok I'll give that a try thank you