5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tick tick no start help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Default Tick tick no start help!!!!

Hey guys so I'm having an issue with my 94 gt not staring all of the sudden it just started going tick tick from under the hood it sounds like it's coming from around the alternator and the second tick following from around the intake manifold and every time it ticks the cel flashes but when I turn the ignition switch on it stops but no lights come on its just like the keys aren't even in the ignition and I'd off I'm at a loss I can't think of anything any help at all is appreciated
Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Start by checking your cables and connections.

Something could also be draining the battery, or it may not be getting a sufficient charge from the alternator. Even the battery itself could be faulty.

You can check for amp-draw and charging voltage with a multimeter. The battery, however, should be load-tested. Your local auto parts store can do that for you at no cost.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 11-21-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro

Something could also be draining the battery, or it may not be getting a sufficient charge from the alternator. Even the battery itself could be faulty.

You can check for amp-draw and charging voltage with a multimeter. The battery, however, should be load-tested. Your local auto parts store can do that for you at no cost.
Connections are tight ive tried putting my battery charger on it I've tried jump starting tried a different battery so idk do these cars by chance need a transponder key? When I bought it like three weeks ago on my way home with it it stated dinging like a door dinger so I got ahold of previous owner and he said it was because the key that I have is not a transponder key and it's supposed to have one. I have yet to put my multimeter on alternator but my guess it isn't that sense it won't start with jumping or charging?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro

I should have clearafied it ticks without the keys on or even in the ignition I'll unplug the ground connection and plug back in and it goes right back to ticking about every two seconds
Old 11-22-2015, 11:41 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check starter selonoid
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
check starter selonoid
Well that was my second tought but I have no idea where it's at lol
Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jly154
Well that was my second tought but I have no idea where it's at lol
And when the keys are out of ignition with ignition off and the car making the clicking sound
the oil pressure and temp gauge move all the way to the right
Old 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jly154
And when the keys are out of ignition with ignition off and the car making the clicking sound
the oil pressure and temp gauge move all the way to the right
So update I checked starter relay and it seems to be good all my other fuses are good when I unplug the fuse to the fuel pump the ticking quits then I turn the ignition on all my lights come on but radio stays off when I turn the ignition on it won't start I turn the ignition switch off and the ticking comes back and it still won't start
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If you keep quoting yourself, nobody's going to answer you lol.....

If your battery is good, meaning passes a load test and fully charged, I'd start looking at the cables and connections. When my car had similar problems, it turned out to be a bad ground connection. The neg. cable to the block connection was loose and corroded. Gave it a good cleaning down to bare metal, and all problems disappeared.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
If you keep quoting yourself, nobody's going to answer you lol.....

If your battery is good, meaning passes a load test and fully charged, I'd start looking at the cables and connections. When my car had similar problems, it turned out to be a bad ground connection. The neg. cable to the block connection was loose and corroded. Gave it a good cleaning down to bare metal, and all problems disappeared.
Ok well I gotta make ramps or buy them lol I asked my dad if maybe a bad grounding could be causing it and he said he didn't think that wa stage problem so I went out and bought a new starter solenoid oh well Ill give cleaning all my grounds s try and see if that works and if not I'll try the solenoide

Quick Reply: Tick tick no start help!!!!