MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   What computer do I need to use with AOD (not AODE) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/723311-what-computer-do-i-need-to-use-with-aod-not-aode.html)

johnnie_2207@yahoo.com 12-14-2015 08:39 PM

What computer do I need to use with AOD (not AODE)

Hello I have a 93 I was wanting to use an AOD in (not a AODE) and I was wondering if I used the auto computer if it would mess things up ? Are the shift points programmed in ? If I used a Manual computer would it not have the transmissions programming? so maybe it would be better to use ? any help would be appreciated
Thanks

88 orangepeel notch 12-15-2015 07:41 AM

No disrespect, but did you reread your post ? I don't know what your trying to do but can only guess at an answer for you. When posting, try to be as clear and precise with your wording and punctuation. Reread your post to see if someone else, who has no idea what's going on, will understand it. It'll help us out a ton with more accurate answers.

Now, welcome to the forum. Quick answers on what I think your asking. A9P = Auto, A9L = Manual

You can run an A9L in a 5 speed car, but not vice versa, an A9L will not work in a Automatic car. I can't remember why, but remember reading that back when I did my T5 swap.

Shift points are not programmable, they are controlled by the TV cable .

Let us know what your trying to do ? Are you swapping in an AOD in place of a T5 manual tranny ?

uedlose 12-15-2015 02:06 PM

aod is NOT controlled by the ECM/computer. Like a aode thats what the e stands electronic

johnnie_2207@yahoo.com 12-15-2015 04:44 PM

I am sorry I tried to edit it after I posted it but for some reason it wouldn't let me on my phone. I have a non H.O./AOD out of a Crown Vic that I have put in a 68 shortbed and now I have come across an engine from a 93 GT Mustang. I am wanting to replace the non H.O. with the H.O. but I was unsure about what computer to look for. I would love to have a T5 instead of the AOD but from what I have read the shifter will hit the seat, Therefore I guess I will be keeping the AOD. Thank You guys for your information and I appreciate your patience and I am sorry that i dint explain it very good before. would you guys know of a good place to find a computer?
Thanks Again

88 orangepeel notch 12-16-2015 07:02 AM

No problem, you'll want to look for a A9P computer then. Best place to start would probably be EBay, Craigslist, or local swaps. But being an electrical device, your taking a chance on getting a good used one without being able to test it. They do have a pretty good reputation for not failing very often, but still, bad ones are out there. A couple years back, Autozone, Advance, local parts store, etc, used to carry remanufactured units with a warranty for $100. I've heard they don't anymore, but still worth a check.

Good luck, and post back with any other questions.

Also, be sure to research the proper way to set/adjust the TV cable. If it's not connected, or adjusted improperly, it'll burn up that tranny pretty quick.

johnnie_2207@yahoo.com 12-16-2015 08:38 PM

Will a C3W work? If so is it any better or worse than a A9P?

88 orangepeel notch 12-17-2015 06:46 AM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those. Maybe someone with more knowledge in that department will chime in. If I'd have to guess, I'd say no, otherwise they're be very popular lol. Good luck