5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

coolant question? and steering rack question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM
tomcamaro97

Default coolant question? and steering rack question

so ive got an 89 GT Auto.. ill start with my steering rack question..

Located a new one for $100 so thats sweet.. but there are two available.. one with a 1 piece bushing, one with a 2 piece mount bushing.. anyone know which one i need or how to tell the difference?

On to my cooling issue.. ( the system has a couple issues which im adressing currently, 1 no overflow bottle, that i just picked up, so thatll go in shortly. and 2. the heater core is bypassed and the lines are looped and pinched, so im sure thats effecing proper flow) but heres my concern....

I run the car for quite a while and the gauge slowly heats up to 140 degrees (seems slower than a normal car should) i turn the car off and the gauge then reads 240degrees.. Is this proper? thoughts? the car came with an extra coolant temp sensor, that i might install, but it wouldnt seem like it would "not work" while running, and then work while "off", normally they work or dont work. help?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

most are two piece...you'll have to look and see if there are two half bushings that press into the ilets........easily determined once off.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

You might have an air pocket in your cooling system to get those readings, especially since you dont have the overflow tank.

For the rack be weary of the cheap racks. They are cheap for a reason. If you have the tools id look into rebuilding it. Only hard thing is the left oil seal. Its in the middle of the rack and you need a special tool that spreads out to grab the seal. I did the one on my brother's car without it by drilling a small hole into the front of the seal and knocking it out with a punch. Its very risky though because you have to have the drill bit just right or youll make a leak.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:16 PM
tomcamaro97

thanks guys. now i know the difference, ill zip the mount bolts off and check er out, its already on my rack so that should take all of 2 mins. and yeah of course ... the left seal is exactly where its leaking.... ive rebuilt um before but for $100-150 ill just replace.. im sure it original.. so 20 + years old , its time.. "BBB" brand is $100, ACdelco is $150.... so ill prob get the delco one .

oh yeah im sure theres air all over the place in the system, and obv its just spitting all over the place when i shut the car off, not to mention the essentially blocked hose on the back of the engine (cuz its kinked).. im gonna be getting that all squared away first.. but that sensor/ gauge is definately doing something ive never encountered before.. seemed weird to me, but i guess ill get that stuff fixed and see if that fixes it or i need to address it seperately.

updates to come.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
tomcamaro97

so i checked the heater core for leaks by just filling it... water started coming out of hole in the bottom center of this pic, you can see the wetness if you look close. i think thats where an AC line that was removed, make sense?

Im guessing the core is leaking and its leaking out into the box / squirrel cage area and that hole is the lowest point of out of that box , so its coming out there..i need a new heater core right?

Removed one rack bolt easily... second one is seized to the metal collar.. so the torch is going to have to come out on that one (didnt have time last night).. the metal collar appears to be one piece, but the bushings dont appear to go through from front to back, so that seems like 2 piece bushing to me... so i know what rack i need.
Attached Thumbnails coolant question?  and steering rack question-20160106_182236.jpeg  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Thats the a/c drain that the water is coming out of. The a/c lines go into the firewall to the right of the heater core. So if you put water into the heater core and it came out the drain then its leaking.