5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 AM
W 93

Default Some advice needed

Hello everybody, I'm new here and thought I'd ask for some advice on a 1993 Mustang GT hatchback I am going to go look at. I guess I'll just give you the stats listed in the ad and go from there.

1993 Mustang Gt
T5 Jasper re-manufactured trans (Owner claims it shifts perfect)
Pypes catback exhaust
BBK headers and cold air intake
3.73 gears
2" lowering kit
1.7 cobra rockers(what are these exactly???)
Underdrive pulleys

The interior is in good condition but the paint is fading. Thats not a big deal to me though. Owner claims it runs and drives great and pulls very hard. After further contacting him I learned it has been his daily driver since October of 2014. He is asking $3,800 which seems like a decent price in my area as long as the condition is as stated. I live in Northern Virginia BTW.

Now on to some of the advice that I am looking for. First off does this seem like a decent deal? I know it will vary with location but any help would be great. Is the re-manufactured trans a bad sign? Should I look into a different car or is this typically not a problem at all?

I will be using this car mostly as a fun car that I want to build and make my own. I might one day take it and drag it for fun or hit the track but nothing like that anytime soon. I'm not really looking to make it much faster but I would like to try and make it handle better. I'm very new to these mustangs and don't know what to expect. I didn't even know you could make them handle decently until recent. I'd only be willing to spend about $2k on handling upgrades and looking to do it all myself except any welding. How far would this get me? Also the money I will be spending on the handling upgrades will not be including a new set of tires/wheels nor will it include any basic maintenance I will perform.

I've searched and checked out Maximum Motorsports website and found some cool kits on there to improve handling and was wondering if theses kits are any good? Particularly the ones within my budget. Gotta pay to play but I'm trying to do this slowly and affordably, upgrading over a course of time while still enjoying the car.

Thanks for any help and advice. Like I said, I'm not trying to get into any serious builds or anything but just want a fun car that I can mod to my hearts content. Looking forward to participating in these forums!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

maximum motorsports is decent stuff, roller rockers are under the valve covers and open and close the valves, stock ratio was 1.6, 1.7 add a tad more lift to the valve opening good place to participate in events is through the www.northernvirginiamustangclub.com twice a year we hit up mason Dixon dragway for a private rental and drag for 4 hrs.......if you don't get 30+ runs I'd be surprised..lol I go to the event every year, usually april and sept are the dates
Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Seems like a good deal and should give you plenty of speed.

Based on year of car you don't want to stick too much money in the car unless you plan to keep it long term.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 PM
W 93

Originally Posted by movielover40
Welcome aboard.

Seems like a good deal and should give you plenty of speed.

Based on year of car you don't want to stick too much money in the car unless you plan to keep it long term.
Thanks. Yeah I'm planning on keeping it for a good while especially if I start throwing money into it.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 PM
W 93

Originally Posted by mjr46
maximum motorsports is decent stuff, roller rockers are under the valve covers and open and close the valves, stock ratio was 1.6, 1.7 add a tad more lift to the valve opening good place to participate in events is through the www.northernvirginiamustangclub.com twice a year we hit up mason Dixon dragway for a private rental and drag for 4 hrs.......if you don't get 30+ runs I'd be surprised..lol I go to the event every year, usually april and sept are the dates
Thanks for the information! Sounds like a lot of fun!