5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1988 ford Mustang GT with a problem with gray smoke out the back!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Dhughes

Question 1988 ford Mustang GT with a problem with gray smoke out the back!

Hi all,

If anybody can help please!

Here it go's! Washed the car started the car drove it to the end of driveway and was ready to pull to street and the stang started to run rought and gray smoke out the back. Throw it in R and barely got it to the garage and stang stopped running! Go out checked everything that I can think of and nothing out of place! Got back in Stang, started it and ran rought and gray smoke out the back! Got the wifey out had her start it and keep gas on, so I can check under the hood! Had her push on gas a couple of times and could not understand it! scrached my head and then the car started to smooth out and gray smoke stopped! scrached my head! Ok, took stang out for a drive, ran like nothing happened! The next day started just fine and then it happened again! I kept gas on for a bit and it stopped again! I doubled scrached my head!

If anyone ever had this problem or may know what it is please, please help!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:08 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sounds like an electrical connection is still wet, causing a temporary short. Best thing to do is just drive the car, the longer the better, get some heat in the motor to dry out whatever is wet.

Cheap plug wires are known for this.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

If you washed the engine when you washed the car, it has to be dried as much as possible.

I washed my engine bay a few months ago, and thought that going over it afterwards with an air compressor would be enough. But my ABS warning light came on and the engine wanted to stall while driving. When I returned home, I blasted everything again with the air compressor and slipped a packet of silica gel desiccant under the distributor cap. The next morning, I removed the packet and everything was back to normal again.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dhughes
Hi all,

If anybody can help please!

Here it go's! Washed the car started the car drove it to the end of driveway and was ready to pull to street and the stang started to run rought and gray smoke out the back. Throw it in R and barely got it to the garage and stang stopped running! Go out checked everything that I can think of and nothing out of place! Got back in Stang, started it and ran rought and gray smoke out the back! Got the wifey out had her start it and keep gas on, so I can check under the hood! Had her push on gas a couple of times and could not understand it! scrached my head and then the car started to smooth out and gray smoke stopped! scrached my head! Ok, took stang out for a drive, ran like nothing happened! The next day started just fine and then it happened again! I kept gas on for a bit and it stopped again! I doubled scrached my head!

If anyone ever had this problem or may know what it is please, please help!
Have you check under the distributor cap for moisture?
Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Dhughes

Didn't wash the engine just car! The car sat a little thou, when I was doing body work on it! I did check Distributor, put it may still have moisture where I can't see it! All the electrial is new! Would a mass air sensor cause that too? I have a K&N mass air filter on it too! I clean the senor and air filter on ever other oil change!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Pull codes if a long drive didn't cure it. Might point you in the right direction.