5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no start no fuel issue

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
1988MUSKRAT
2nd Gear Member

Default no start no fuel issue

No SPARK no fuel.* I have a 88 gt mass air converted car. It has been sitting for a while but I start it every few months and fires right up until now. Did test getting power to the distributor but not out. Eec relay clicks and have power to the fuel pump relay but pump won't prime or run unless jumped. Could this be a bad ecu?

Last edited by 1988MUSKRAT; 03-13-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Try swapping in another relay for starters.

Then Google "Mustang no start" and dig around for websites that walk you through step by step on tracing the problem down. I'd post a couple up but I lost all my bookmarks on my phone where I had them stored, but you'll find them.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by 1988MUSKRAT
No SPARK no fuel.* I have a 88 gt mass air converted car. It has been sitting for a while but I start it every few months and fires right up until now. Did test getting power to the distributor but not out. Eec relay clicks and have power to the fuel pump relay but pump won't prime or run unless jumped. Could this be a bad ecu?
yeah, check out the wiring diagrams and tutorials notch is talking about. If I think of the guys name, I will post it up. I think it is the same guy that would port intakes for cobras.

Just guessing, I would think maybe pip sensor in distributor, it has been a while since I have thought about this stuff but, I believe they can cut fuel when bad.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-14-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: not coil, pip sensor
Old 03-15-2016, 07:55 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 PM
1988MUSKRAT
2nd Gear Member

OK got it to start but not positive what was wrong. I had swapped out the tfi module and still nothing then when I was putting the original tfi back on the fuel pump primed. I didn't have the harness pulled in and I was getting the 5.5 mm socket to put the 2 bolts back in when it primed. I think dis turned a little bit on its own from where I had turned it to get to the bolts. It started like. 10 X then I called it a night. The next day it wouldn't start so I turned on the ignition and tapped the distributor with a wrench and the pump primed and it fired up. So I'm guessing it's time for a new distributor?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats for digging around till you found it. But just for giggles, and no cost at all, I'd verify all your grounds are good, clean, and tight. My car gave me fits a couple years ago with all sorts problems. It ended up being a bad connection at the block/neg. cable. This was after multiple wrenches were thrown.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM
1988MUSKRAT
2nd Gear Member

It's not fixed yet. I went out yesterday and it still cranks but wouldn't start I loosened the distributor and turned it while the key was on the on position and I could here a faint click. After about 30 times I think it was coming from the box that's bolted to the starter solenoid. I tapped it with a wrench then the fuel pump primed but it still wouldn't start. A few mins later it fired up I did nothing to it . The grounds on and behind the battery appear to be good. How many grounds should there be and where are they located?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

The 3 main ones are the neg. battery cable grounds to the engine block. Inspect this cable for cuts and internal corrosion, and that both ends are clean and tight. 2nd one is behind the motor, it goes from the cylinder head to the fire wall. 3rd one I check is inside the passenger kick panel and it's the ground for the computer.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 AM
1988MUSKRAT
2nd Gear Member

Problem is on going and getting worse. The other day it wouldn't start it cranks but the pump wont prime so I left the key on and loosened the dis and rotated it a bunch of times and finally the fuel pump kicked on then it started . Yesterday it started right up ran for a few seconds then died. so I repeated the same thing to get it started. Is the dis going bad? And why does turning it cause the fuel pump to prime? It does it with or with the tfi being plugged in.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:18 PM
BarneyPenny

For anyone else having this issue, there is a switch in the trunk on certain model Foxes called an "Intertia Switch". this switch is meant to cut the fuel pump in the event of an accident, and can be the cause of fuel problems if it goes bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no start no fuel issue