5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Couple Of 5.0 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
pcupo12

Default Couple Of 5.0 questions.

Ok, i may be a newbie here, but am no newbie to cars. Personally, im a honda guy. I drive a boosted Eg coupe. (vid in my sig). Anywho, my buddy has a 95 5.0 w/ a motorsport s/c on it. As far as i can see, the car came with a Vortec 12:1 FMU. What can he do to tune this beast? Get an Apexi AFC and an adjustable FPR>? Can you chip the ECU's? Let me know, cuz i wanna help him out. The thing is runnin crazy rich. How good are the stock injectors? What CC are they? Thanks!

Also. We have a worthless Narrowband A/F gauge layin around. What color wire on the 02 sensor do i splice into? He wants to fill up that Gauge cluster (empty gauge hole) and cant afford a wideband 02 sensor. Thanks for your help fellas. ~Pete
Old 10-25-2005, 12:45 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Couple Of 5.0 questions.

mustang injectors are rated in pounds per hour, not cubic centimeters.
stock injectors are 19lb/hr
what color are the injectors?

orange is stock
blue is 24#
red is 30#
I think green is 42#

anyways, make sure the mass air meter is calibrated for the injectors, if you run 24# injectors with a mass air meter calibrated for 19#ers it will run hella rich.

adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a must for tuning.
yes, you can get chips burned for the computers.

when I hooked up my A/F ratio gauge I just followed the wires from the o2 sensors.
I think the left one is the red wire and the right is grey with a yellow stripe.
the plug is right under the mass air meter. the connector on the left.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

a honda guy trying to tune a domestic thats funny. sorry but it really is.

if hes rich add timing and it sounds like he has a powerdyne if its motorsports one. if timing doesnt help then pull fuel out. well need more specs of car then what you gave to determine. also you dont put on cheap apexi afc on a 5 litre. thats a cheap and poor way of tuning a import anyways
Old 10-25-2005, 03:37 AM
pcupo12

Well IM not tuning it yet , im just helping him narrow down what needs to be replaced. I can see whoever had the car beforehand kinda rigged everything up. I dont have an Apexi AFC on my car either thank you. Im not here to cause problems, i wanna help my buddy get this 5.0 into the 12's, and I dont have exp with domestics, so i come to u for help.

So back to tuning...........if i put an adjustable FPR on there and strap it on the dyno and adjust the fuel pressure for to make the best maps? Do you guys suggest burning chips? Whats the best way to tune this thing other than a stand alone? Thanks Again.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:54 AM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

I had an apexi AFC on my VR4 and it works great......most common way to control the fuel.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

key word import....the two are different
ORIGINAL: JohnChule

I had an apexi AFC on my VR4 and it works great......most common way to control the fuel.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

what a cookie for those times of yours NA civic/integras run that around here and alot faster but anyways on to your buddys car

you can get a chip burned but can also use what is called a PMS or a tweecer. both are nice for tuning and one of them do datalogging. that way you can correct some of the faults. with his FMU he should be able to adjust the fuel with that. thats usually good for stock injectors but once you go past stock injectors its better to have AFPR. we need to know the entire setup before anything really. what injectors, what pump, what motor parts, what ignition and etc. it will help determine it alot more. also thta year computer is very picky to mods
ORIGINAL: pcupo12

Well IM not tuning it yet , im just helping him narrow down what needs to be replaced. I can see whoever had the car beforehand kinda rigged everything up. I dont have an Apexi AFC on my car either thank you. I have it tuned with uberdata, and i ran 13.89 on 6 lbs of boost. Im not here to cause problems, i wanna help my buddy get this 5.0 into the 12's, and I dont have exp with domestics, so i come to u for help.

So back to tuning...........if i put an adjustable FPR on there and strap it on the dyno and adjust the fuel pressure for to make the best maps? Do you guys suggest burning chips? Whats the best way to tune this thing other than a stand alone? Thanks Again.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 AM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

thats a cheap and poor way of tuning a import anyways

I was saying that an apexi AFC is a great way to tune an import not a domestic....Its the most common way to tune an import.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

cheap way of tuning an import but not the most effiecent.
ORIGINAL: JohnChule

ORIGINAL: Quik

thats a cheap and poor way of tuning a import anyways

I was saying that an apexi AFC is a great way to tune an import not a domestic....Its the most common way to tune an import.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Quik, be glad nobody has torn you a new one for being such a jerk to the n00b and John.

I see you are offering some help but keep the lame comments to yourself.

Quick Reply: Couple Of 5.0 questions.