5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Feels like my car is twisting!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Feels like my car is twisting!

Last night I took my car out for the first time in about a week and it just didn't feel right....when I hit the gas at any speed and any gear it feels like the car is twisting. I got out and checked the sway bar end links and they were fine. Checked the rear control arms and sway bar and everything looked ok from what I could see but I didn't actually get under the car. No unusual noises that I noticed, drives smooth and going over bumps were fine. I went on the highway and hit the gas pedal it kinda pulled to the left when I feel the twisting like issue. I did have have tubular control arms installed along with the rear end gears earlier this year, could the control arm bolts be loose? I've never had this issue before so I'm kinda stumped
Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I always think if you get that feeling that something is different with your car, there is something that is causing it. Nobody knows your car better than you. I'd keep investigating.....

But just for simplicity, verify tire pressures first. You just never know....
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I didn't really get a chance to look at it since it was dark...I will check tire pressure and I wil have to crawl under it and check everything out
Old 10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by StalkerGT
Last night I took my car out for the first time in about a week and it just didn't feel right....when I hit the gas at any speed and any gear it feels like the car is twisting. I got out and checked the sway bar end links and they were fine. Checked the rear control arms and sway bar and everything looked ok from what I could see but I didn't actually get under the car. No unusual noises that I noticed, drives smooth and going over bumps were fine. I went on the highway and hit the gas pedal it kinda pulled to the left when I feel the twisting like issue. I did have have tubular control arms installed along with the rear end gears earlier this year, could the control arm bolts be loose? I've never had this issue before so I'm kinda stumped
How long ago did you put the gears and suspension in?

Hopefully you tightened up the suspension while it was loaded? If not, I'd loosen everything up and retighten with it sitting on ramps. It would be a good idea to check all fasteners anyways. Did you use lock nuts or blue Loctite on the nuts/bolts of the suspension? I've learned my lesson on that stuff over the years.

Also, with the gears, it's possible you're just getting some torque steer that you're not used to experiencing. Pulling to the left is natural when you stomp on it because of the natural rotation of the drivetrain. Maybe look at getting some stiffer springs to quell that torque steer and put more power to the ground. Now if you've had the gears and suspension in for a few weeks or months and this is the first time you've felt that stuff then it's most likely none of this last stuff I mentioned.

What gear ratio did you drop in?
Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

The gears are 3.73's. The shop that did the gears installed the control arms at the same time back in April. I definitely never noticed this problem till a few days ago. Not sure if they installed them under load. Could my shocks have gone bad. I'm not even sure how old they are. I have had the car for 5 years and havnt replaced them since I've owned it.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If your car has any bounce to it after you push down on a corner, then they may be time to replace. But usually that's the only symptom is a pogo stick ride. I'd still look for loose or improper setup of suspension.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Took my car to a local shop today so it could be up on a lift to see what's going on...not what I wanted to see! On the passenger side where the upper control arm mounts there a bracket/mount type of thing that it bolts to and it is tearing away from the body of the car. As a result of that it is also trashing the control arm bushings also. I'm gonna bring it back next Monday and hopefully they will be able to weld it. Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:56 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Fairly common on cars that were used at the track with slicks. The torque boxes are known to have weak/minimal spot welds holding them on and they really take a beating when stressed with a load.

You can buy torque box reinforcement kits that will solve this issue. Get the weld in kit, not the bolt in kit.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 AM
StalkerGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok that makes me feel better...the shop that did my gears said they could weld it up and also reinforce it for me. Luckily the under carriage of my car is really clean so there isn't any rust or rot issues around that area
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 PM
gaslog4

Just like the previous poster said....Fix the Torque Boxes and the problem should away....Had the same problem with my Fox Body...

Quick Reply: Feels like my car is twisting!