5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strut tower upper bolt Plastic clip

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM
draco529
1st Gear Member

Default Strut tower upper bolt Plastic clip

Hello, i could use some help with this one. I am replacing the front sway bar bushings on my 1990 convertible and when I went to unbolt the sway bar from the bottom, there was this plastic clip on the top side that held (and presumably) prevented the screw from spinning as I tried to spin the lower nut. As you can see from the picture, it was plastic, and after 25 years just disintegrated. I've looked online and in some Chilton's manuals and cant seem to locate this part. Do I even need it? If so, any idea where to get it?

I've also posted this in the Suspension thread.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower upper bolt Plastic clip-bolts.jpg   Strut tower upper bolt Plastic clip-clip.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'm assuming that's just an sound insulator, without it you'd have metal on metal contact which leads to squeaks and rattles. I did a quick search on LMR and couldn't find that part either. You could try Rock Auto yet or fab up your own if your handy.