5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

By the gauge, slow to warm-up, but gets way too hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Waferboy
1st Gear Member

Default By the gauge, slow to warm-up, but gets way too hot

So my recent acquisition of a 93 LX Hatch has a temp issue. It seems to take much longer to start to warm up then my other 93 LX Hatch. Then the temp can run up to near 270. The temp can move quite a bit with little rhyme or reason. My other LX runs up to the middle range (~200) moves some, but with reason. I don't want to open it up yet but I'm wondering if it's missing the thermostat. And yes these are both 5.0's. And while the temp runs right up to the top, it never overheats and I haven't had to add coolant.

Anyone have experience with a missing or stuck open thermostat? I hate opening the thermostat unless I have to. It's a mess and I have had issues getting it to seal back up. I have already changed the sending unit and things did get a little better.

So thermostat missing? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Hm, that is suspicious. Start by verifying ACTUAL temperature with a separate thermometer (those infrared ones work great). Take a reading right from the thermostat housing (if using an infrared gun, hold it up real close to the housing).

If it starts to overheat, shut it off right away and pursue that. There are ways to ensure that the thermostat housing seals back up on the first try, so don't be afraid to open it up.

If it's NOT overheating, make sure that the sending unit you got is working correctly. When cold, it should have a resistance of about 74Ω (may vary depending on ambient temp). When it's at operating temperature, the sender should have closer to 9.7Ω.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:34 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Don't trust the stock gauges, they are known to be wildly inaccurate.

And the slow warm up definitely sounds like someone yanked the thermostat. Or it's just not working properly. You'll have to pull it apart to know for sure....
Old 12-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Waferboy
1st Gear Member

Great advice. Looks like I've got a weekend project. Thanks!