5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

preload and valve lash

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:45 AM
screemn

I am using all stock parts except the gt 40 iron heads and cam ..never heard of torque specs on these ?huh....well there supposed to be at 20flbs...and like i said previously im only getting a third of a turn preload at the 20flbs..guessin the pushrod needs to be a tad longer to get a little more preload...but dont really wanna just start ordering all kinds of pushrods..😳..thats why i mentioned adjustable ones and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with using them..thanks for any info
Old 12-22-2016, 01:56 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Once again, never heard of torquing the preload, never even seen it done by anyone on TV or in person. My concern/question would be if the push rod is reaching 20ftlbs on just 1/3 of a turn, can you turn it more? If not, then the push rod has bottomed out in the lifter and the push rod is too long. If the heads have been milled and the cam has more lift then chances are good the deck height has changed to shorter and the push rods are too long. If the push rod can be turned down to at least 1/2 turn regardless of the torque reading, then do that. No one torques push rods. Ask any real mechanic, don't rely on this forum since you're doubting good advice anyway.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:05 AM
screemn

I am looking for good advice..the rockers are torqued to 20flbs ..never heard of that really? ..hmmm and at the 20flbs i have exactly a third of a turn preload on the pushrod lifter ..i can not believe no one has ever heard od torquing rockers...this blows me away..thanks anyways guys..there is no adjustment in the design..ford torques there rockers in place ..again all the valve train is stock except for cam ...yes the rockers are torued to 20flbs

Last edited by screemn; 12-23-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:11 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Go to Summit Racing's website and view their video on adjusting hydraulic lifters, it is a Chevy engine but the theory is the same. Google adjusting lifters, I did find one nut job who torques Ford lifters but he is using adjustable roller rockers and was happy with 1/4 turn. Most do it the way everyone has been suggesting. If your lifters are too noisy for you, they either have too much or not enough preload. You didn't answer my question if you could turn the lock nut another partial turn without bottoming out. You may be bottomed out already or darn close causing you to get a 20ftlb reading prematurely in which case your rods are too long. It doesn't matter that they are stock. You changed the heads and cam, you have changed the variables.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 AM
screemn

all is stock....torqued to 20flbs A a third of a turn preload at the 20flbs...it seems not a single person in here has ever used or maintained stock equipment ....this isnt your old small block chevy that has a adjustable valve train..there is no lock nut there is zero adjustment on these stock small block fords err at least the ol pushrod ones anyways...and at this point i really wish i would have upgraded to a set of adjustable roller rockers

Last edited by screemn; 12-23-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by screemn
all is stock....torqued to 20flbs A a third of a turn preload at the 20flbs...it seems not a single person in here has ever used or maintained stock equipment ....this isnt your old small block chevy that has a adjustable valve train..there is no lock nut there is zero adjustment on these stock small block fords err at least the ol pushrod ones anyways...and at this point i really wish i would have upgraded to a set of adjustable roller rockers
I told you what your problem was and why you were getting only 1/3 a turn when reaching 20 ft lbs.........did you not comprehend it?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:41 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I told you what your problem was and why you were getting only 1/3 a turn when reaching 20 ft lbs.........did you not comprehend it?
He never answered my question either which would lead to your conclusion as well. Just cause the parts are stock doesn't mean they will match due to the obvious machine work and different cam in the engine.